Saturday, August 13, 2011

A family European trip - food in Milan, Italy

The first time I took pizza and pasta in Milan, I doubted if it's a real Italian restaurant. On the 2nd and 3rd trying, it turned out what we have in most Asian restaurants are really local "adaptations" which in general are with heavy cheese, sauce to overwhelm the original flavour of fresh pasta or aromatic dough of pizza....etc. My sister took all these photos bringing back my nice memory of the fresh pasta flavour and original dough aroma of pizza. I somehow got amazed an egg was put on top of the pizza. My sister claimed it's a very nice one. See the pasta. It's not heavily seasoned or in much sauce, not even with drowning olive oil. Simply some fresh herb to go with it.




4 comments:

Stella said...

So these alleged authentic Italian dishes are so different from those we usually eat. No heavy sauce, not much cheese.
The authentic does not look too authentic.

in the sea said...

Correct. That's my first impression when I had my first Italian meal in Italy. My local client brought me to a local Italian restaurant. We order a salad and it's just some very chewy veggie. As I asked about "may I have some dressing like blue cheese?", they just brought olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I spent almost an hour to finish that chewy salad. :)

Stella said...

For sure I don't like chewy salad with no dressing.
Sometime authentic or not does not matter as long as we like the way it is cooked and served.
Just like most of the Thai food or Italian food here not as authentic as those in BKK or Italy but I still like it a lot.

in the sea said...

Yes, we should take it this way.