Sunday, November 08, 2009

Sheung Kee Restaurant, 嫦記, Happy Valley Hot Food stall, top floor of the air-conditioned food market, Hong Kong

I think today is a really happy day to me and just to the meaning of "happy" valley. I have been told quite many times about the nice restaurants on the top floor of the Happy Valley Food Market place. Finally I got here.
1. the market place outside. 2. the entrance.

3/4. this is the place.

5. Double boiled fins with chicken HK$68. It's a very good deal. Though they use some smaller fins, the important part is the soup. They use diced pork, golden ham and dried longan. These are all the super-mix for a nice chicken soup. No need to put salt to taste. Golden ham and dried longan are the perfect mix for the salty/sweet blasting together. Pork is to balance the "hot" character of chicken (潤燥). Highly recommended. 6. I like Sprite or 7-up to go with some lemon slices - zesty cool for a nice meal.

7. deep fried chicken in fried chopped garlic HK$80. The chicken is a freshly frozen chicken. I actually wanted the plain steamed chicken as we can taste whether it's a nice chicken at source. However, the lightly fried chopped garlic cover the frozen chicken. 8. So if we want to see how good a restaurant is, the simple thing is to order something (look simple) but difficult to handle. Choy Sum stir fried with beef HK$50. The choy sum was first slightly boiled and then put in a very high heat wok for quick stir frying. This way, it will seal the sweet juice of the choy sum while it's very aromatic. The beef is a bit marinated with some very slight soda powder but it's not that noticeable (pretty good technique in not making it too explicit); so I still think it's good but the quick stir frying technique made that up. See the burnt part of the beef! Besides, look at the bottom part of the plate - no sauce left! This is the classic and original Cantonese quick stir frying. Highly recommended.

9. My goodness! This is super outstanding. Again, stir fried sticky rice with Chinese sausage/mushroom HK$58 is very difficult, either sticky enough to become a mini-ball or some rices being hard to chew. As you can see, the rice is very separated but not too hard. It's a bit salty though. However, the essential part of stir fried sticky rice is to sprinkle some salty water very little by very little. BTW, they use some very nice Chinese sunny dried pork liver sausage 潤腸. Must try!

8 comments:

Paranoid Android said...

The grub looks Chow Tutting good! I love Chinese soups and I should have my eyes rolled to be back of my forehead with the mini shark's fin. The Chinese Sausage rice got me reminded on how good HK Lap Mei is. My friend's mum makes an awesome lap mei fan, and she goes to HK to get the lap mei personally.

Stella said...

Wow this food court in Happy Valley looks good and not expensive, particularly the shark fin chicken soup with golden ham is valued buy.
Hard to get golden ham in LA.

Anonymous said...

So good to see these photo. I also heard a lot about this place but it's not easy to go to happy valley. now your photo make me wanna go. tks.

in the sea said...

Android, it's now the season for lap mei in Hong Kong. Let me take some photos of some nice lap mei. I like pork liver lap mei.

SS, I can understand why golden ham is prohibited, but I don't understand why parma ham is not.... mmh... Just like anchovy, you can find it in some shops in LA but the Chinese sunny dried salty fishes can't be found. The cheese has a lot of mini worm to go tasty, but then the preserved tofu is told be smelly.

Stella said...

You are right SEA. I think US custom does discriminate on certain foods. Just like I never understand why they banned the import of dried orange peel, the spice "bark Kwok"(8 corner), the canned Fung May Yu(Fish) last year, and this year the hairy crab(Big Gate Crab).
But once in a while they come back. So I have to keep checking.

Stella said...

By the way SEA, Tak Shing Hong is full of salty dried fish, preserved soy bean curd(Fu Yu), salty dried duck kidney, Lap Chong(Chinese sausage), and your favorite Golden Coin Liver Chong(Yuen Chong).
Hard to justify their existence while my dear delicious porky from BKK is banned.
Who say no discrimination in the US?

in the sea said...

SS. Golden coin liver is a piece of chicken liver and a piece of pork sausage... It's a one kind of BBQ food.

Interesting to see the salty fish in LA? Hard to see on what criteria they ban the importation of certain food.

Stella said...

Will check if we have the Golden Coin Liver Sausage here at Tak Shing Hong tomorrow(Veteran's Day, a bank holiday).