Wednesday, June 17, 2009

薑汁撞奶 Ginger sauce into Hot Milk by Heng Fa Lau 杏花樓, Jordan, Kowloon 

I guess the first time I tried this ginger juice "crashing" into hot milk was in the winter time of 1989 and it was Madam Fa introducing me to this dessert when we stepped into the first shop of Heng Fa Lau in Jordan. So right after visiting Madam Fa last night, I walked to Jordan and found out this shop. That reminded me of her and the first time I tried this wonderful dessert. Madam Fa also told me it's a dessert from Pun Yue (a town famous for rice and fish and in Chinese we call it as 魚米之鄉) and supposed this dessert is only made for those kids in rich families in the old time. This dessert seems to me it's a chemical study from an ancient Chinese Lab. Two liguid crashing into each other and there comes a beancurd texture. A brilliant invention and also good for health. This is also the only dessert I think Heng Fa Lau is very good at.
After 21 years, it is sold at HK$22 and was around $14-15; so it isn't that much. Heng Fa Lau still keeps the good quality.

3/4. the shop in Jordan, opposite to the Majestic Hotel (now Novotel).

No comments: