Wednesday, June 01, 2011

My cooking - dealing in inflation with HK$30

To fight against the inflation, let's get more creative in our home cooking.
I paid HK$2 for a half cut (about 3/4 catty) radish, another $2 for pasley, $4 for 2 preserved thousand year eggs 皮蛋, $10 fish patty 鯪魚肉. $18 for a soup with fish and veggie, good for 3-4 people. Then I got $10 ground pork and $2 preserved veggie 梅菜. One more dish at $12. Total $30.
Can't afford a bigger fish patty? Try to put some ingredients like chopped radish or carrot in it (I made it as 1 (radish) to 3 (fish patty) portion. Stir it well to make it sticky enough. Put some chopped parsley if you like it, and cornstarch to make it a little thicker. Cut the remaining radish in thick slices and put it in a pot with cool water. Put a thick cut (0.3 to 0.5 inch) ginger and crush or crack it (when the water is cool too *this way the ginger won't have the "hot" character in the soup). Just water is good to have the natural sweet from fresh radish. Then dice the preserved duck egg, and cut the (rinsed well) parsley in about 1 to 2 inches long (up to your preference). Put the fish patty with a spoon to break in pieces when the water is boiled, then followed with the diced duck egg. Boil it for a few minutes after the fish patty floated up. Some salt to your taste. Some pepper powder if you like and a few drops of sesame oil. Finally it's the parsley and turn off the heat immediately. Take out the fish patty and other ingredients and serve it as a plate (dip with soy sauce if needed). Re the 2nd dish, I think I have mentioned this one before. This dish is very good to go with steamed rice. So $30 for a soup and 2 dishes. Good for 3-4 people.

10 comments:

Mickey Mouse said...

this is a very nice home cook meal, best meal is a meal at home ..

i think next time Flora shall stay in a serviced apartment with full kitchen, such as Centre Point, so u can show us a warm home cook meal .. :-)

Stella said...

I don't think SEA shall cook during his vacation at BKK. I don't want to ruin his one night. If I visit HK then it is a different story.

pixmation said...

I haven't had 鯪魚肉 soup for a long time.

in the sea said...

That's a good idea. Stella, it's just a meal. I think we can have a hot pot meal in a serviced apt. or something like a soup like this or steaming food. I can bring all these ingredients from here.
Pixmation, then think about a trip back.. :)

Stella said...

Thank you SEA for the offer.

Maybe Pixmation can join us to we can have a big catering party from Ho Ho Private Kitchen.

It is not easy to only $30 HK for this meal above. You shall be a good CFO/Controller SEA.

Stella said...

Hi Pixmation,

The Ling Fish Ball Soup(with Watercress) is available at Green Island at the new Atlantic Time Square(500 N. Atlantic Blvd, Monterey Park, CA 91754). The construction is financed by East West Bank. If you spend $30US you get a free hot pot eel rice.

in the sea said...

I think I need to thank for my younger time to make a good budget out of my limited salary. It's a good training after all.

Stella said...

There is an old saying "even thousand gold cannot buy the poor time in young age" as that experience in fact is a blessing.

pixmation said...

@Stella, Thanks. I will sure go check that place out. :)

Stella said...

You are very welcome Pixmation.
Let me know if you like that place later.
BTW, congratulations to the many awards and recognition you got for all your nice photo work. We are happy for you.