Wednesday, May 06, 2009

龍媽麵店, 高雄, 台灣

Passed by this shop during my stay at Grand Hi Lai Hotel in KaoHsuing and noticed quite many locals visited this shop. So why not for a late night try by myself only for my favourite rice noodle in minced pork sauce (乾米粉) plus preserved cabbage and a Lo Shui Egg (滷水蛋) (egg soaked in special soy sauce). I got really impressed! So the next day I brought my colleagues and of course Madam Fa (being a taste supervisor and an experienced chef). Then we tried more various food and we were all so surprised! Now that we have a reason to go back to Kao Hsuing.


1. Madam Loen (means Dragon) is in the middle of the photo and her shop. When getting so impressed with her food, we got to chat with her for a while. She also appreciated my tasting for what ingredients she put. Then we got to know each other being so enjoyable in cooking. Madam Loen started cooking since 13 and she started this shop on her own. She claimed to use freshest ingredients and made her own "deep fried red onion" (油蔥酥) - this one is very essential for Taiwanese local food and that's also the important part of cooking - making your own ingredients and this is your style. 2. Pork in thick soup (肉羹) - I think I would have my prejudice by simply looking at the texture of this thick soup. I was so wrong but I don't blame for myself as nobody's perfect. I think it's best Pork in thick soup I have ever tried. Madam put the deep fried fish chunks (大地魚) in the soup and made the whole soup a lot different, just like the way the Cantonese wonton soup having deep fried fish chunks in it. What's more, Madam put the Chinese long cabbage (黃芽白) and the sweetness of the cabbage balance the aromatic salty taste of the fish chunks, just like how much I enjoyed using fried dried shrimp to cook with cabbage. As for the meat, it's not just meat. Madam used her own hand to massage the meat well and made it so soft and chewy, and even like fish cake texture. Highly recommended!!!


3. Dried rice noodle in minced pork sauce (乾米粉) - my favourite! Madam's special minced pork sauce made the noodle so different - sweet and salty taste very balanced! 4. Jia Yi Chicken rice (嘉義雞肉飯) - Why pick the chicken from Jia Yi (a county in the Southern Middle Taiwan). I asked Madam Fa what the difference of this meat to the other chicken meat and Madam Fa simply pointed out the meat is marinated first in salt and it's full of chicken taste. However, I told her I also got amazed with this name because it's not chicken at all but just the Chinese name has the "chicken". It's just with one word prefix - "fire" in Chinese. Yes, it's Turkey actually. Turkey in Chinese has 2 words "fire" "chicken". Jia Yi's turkey is different from the original turkey. I was told the locals of Jia Yi mix the breed of chicken and turkey and have this new breed of turkey - having the taste of chicken but in lean meat. Of course, Madam made this marinated meat so well - not dried at all even though after a long time of marinating.



5. rice noodle in soup - Madam Dragon made the soup so clear but the taste is not bland at all. Madam Fa really enjoyed the soup so much and appraised for Madam Dragon's cooking skill! You can see the deep fried red onion in the soup. Madam just sprinkled it a little and made the soup so aromatic. No need to put much as it will be too overwhelming. 6. Thick chewy noodle (米苔目) - another Southern Taiwanese local food - we all got so amazed at this chewy noodle texture. Must try!

No comments: