Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Thai Basil, Pacific Place, Hong Kong

This restaurant is situated on the lower ground level of Pacific Place where the Met Cafe (Metropolitan Cafe), Peking House, Zen and other prestigeous restaurants are. There are indeed quite a number of nice restaurants in Pacific Place, especially the Cova restaurant on the top level.


1. Stir fried spinach with golden fried garlic HK$52 - quite a nice one and not that oily. I noted the Chef put some sugar in it to take out the "iron" taste( 浹味) of the spinach. 2. stir fried noodle with roast chicken. I don't think you would try this type of Cantonese noodle in Thailand and I can say it'd be a Cantonese dish than a Thai dish but taste-wise, it's pretty good; so I can say this is a foreign taste.



3. roti (HK$22): it's quite a nice one but it lacks the aromatic oil taste (油酥香). 4. hot and spicy rock lobster soup (HK$68): ok, this one is with rock lobster and not the cray fish I tried at Rice Paper. The soup is very salty, sour and spicy and indeed quite Thai taste.


5. Mixed grill platter (HK$138): the beef and squid are quite nice and the cucumber salad too. 6. the shop inside.


7. Pumpkin custard with pandan leave ice cream HK$38: it's a very nice pumpkin sweet. The pandan leave ice cream replied to my question why there is no pandan leave ice cream in Thailand (or I may haven't yet come accross) while the local Thais use a lot of pandan leave for cooking. Personally I don't like pandan leave but this one is quite nice. Highly recommended. 8. Blackberry sorbet, rum raisin and ginger ice cream (HK$39): waking up my taste buds! Must try too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a special ice cream.
Pumpkin is very good for us in fact.
From,
SS

Journey Insights... said...

Irresistable pumpkin as ice cream flavour! I have also tried black sesame seed, and also durian flavor - very exquisite as I love durian, although cant find it often being served in restaurants. I can finish 2 scoops or more. Never mind the fat...Yummy! ;-)