Thursday, May 07, 2009

Lon Pao soup dumpling, KaoHsuing, S. Taiwan 龍袍湯包, 高雄, 南台灣

Just like the way I discovered Madam Dragon's noodle shop, I found out there are quite many locals visiting this shop just next to Grand Hi Lai hotel. So it turned out our exploration wasn't in vain.



1. Almost 9 out of 10 customers ordered this deep fried pork chop with noodle. The pork chop is nicely marinated and then covered with battered egg and flour and deep fried in nice hot oil. The noodle is quite nice too with lots of veggie but I don't know why the chef used morning glory as it's not common for Taiwanese noodle. 2. spare ribs noodle soup - also quite nice.


3. double boiled beef soup - a bit oily to me but the taste is good. 4. double boiled ginseng chicken soup and double boiled chicken soup. Both are very oily and I noticed it's quite typical for Taiwanese soup being a big oily. The taste is quite good, but I don't recommend it as it's indeed a bit too oily.



5. mini dumpling with black sesame filling - very nice one! 6. mini dumpling with meaty hot soup inside. I can darely say it's even better than Crystal Jade and Din Tai Feng though I still don't like mini dumpling. The chef made the dumpling skin very thin but chewy enough to hold the soup inside. This is a very special skill and the meaty soup inside is very nice. Perfect dumpling!

7. the pickled cucumber, the pickled white fungas and the dried bean curb with dried mini fish. Average taste but if you want some snacks together with your dumpling, I would recomend you try the pickled white fungas as it's not commonly found in Taiwan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks very mini in size and delicate. I think I can eat 2 orders.
SS

Anonymous said...

You not only promote Thailand but also promote KaoHsuing. Very nice food. I read newspaper there has some cheap package for KaoHsuing at about HK$1,500.

in the sea said...

Due to the media reporting on BKK's unstable situation, there have been quite a number of tour package to Kenting/Kao Hsuing and the post-effect of the movie Cape No. 7. When we went to Kenting, the driver couldn't help of leading us to the post office shown in that movie though we already told them we are not into that movie.