Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Rice Paper, Vietnamese restaurant, World Trade Centre, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

Last time after I tried the EXP Pizza/pasta fusion restaurant and got to know MAX Concept restaurant chain (a Maxim's trendy restaurant chain) has quite a variety of western and international cuisine. So why not for more explorations. This restaurant name Rice Paper does catch my attention. Rice paper can mean something simple but simple food is not that easy to cook at all. Just like steamed rice, I often take it as an index for a good Chinese restaurant.



1. Stir fried morning glory with shrimp paste HK$58. A bit too salty but it somehow didn't have the shrimp aroma. I could tell the Chef didn't burn the shrimp paste enough. In stir-frying food with shrimp paste, it should be burnt a bit first in the wok so as to get the nice aroma. Yet, it should have had some chili to bring out the taste of shrimp paste. 2. Stir fried egg noodle with lobster HK$98 - when I looked at the price, I already wondered it was another mistakenly named dish. I don't know why most of the restaurants often misled people with crayfish for lobster! There are so many so-called "lobster" buffet in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia and Thailand. I often told my friends and families they are not lobster. They are just crayfish. So I called the captain of this restaurant and simply told him the menu shouldn't name it as lobster. The captain expressed it's because most people don't know much about small lobster (he even didn't get my meaning of crayfish, or he might not even have any idea about crayfish. What's more, I told him they shouldn't put the egg noodle in the fridge if it had to be stored overnight. Putting fresh-made noodle in the fridge would make the noodle broken when stir-frying.



3. Grilled Chicken HK$98 (half) - actually it should be called deep fried chicken but I don't know why most Vietnamese restaurant often name it as grilled chicken. Anyway, this one is quite nice but a bit close to Cantonese style chicken. 4. You may wonder why this one is so solitary. I don't know either when the waiter delivered it separately.



5. Seafood soup HK$128 - quite nice but originally for Viet taste, it should have been sweeter. 6. Spring roll HK$52.


7. Tangerine/grapefruit juice - quite a nice mix and it's not sour at all. 8. Steamed flat roll with scallop HK$58. I think this is the best dish in the meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They do look nice. It seems
the price is reasonable at this restaurant considered its location(Causeway Bay),its set up, its presentation and overall.
SS