Sunday, July 17, 2011

西灣河 明記糖水, Ming Kee Dessert shop, Sai Wan Ho HK

This shop was just a small shop about 15 years ago in Sai Wan Ho near the wet market. It was famous for its nice herbal jelly serving in the market and the jumbo drink (Kum guat pineapple - very quenching in the summer season) for the students. As a word-of-mouth, these 2 signature dessert and drink became so popular. It then expanded to acquire 2 more shops nearby in Sai Wan Ho, and lately one more shop in Tin Hau.
1. I really like their herbal jelly. The texture and the aroma of herbal is so nice and yet they wouldn't put heavy syrup to kill the herbal aroma. The evaporated milk is also not too overwhelming. So HK$12 for a big bowl to share, good for 2 people.
2. Mango agar jello 芒果大菜糕 HK$15. Agar jello was my favourite at my kid's time, but I prefer the plain one with egg stir-in. This dessert was one of the snack at my grand ma's birthday during lunch time. Usually we made wonton as a brief lunch course and followed with this one as a dessert for her birthday. Couldn't be too filling or too heavy in taste because there are lots of dishes served at dinner.


4 comments:

Mickey Mouse said...

very local dessert, and also small cart noodles, my favorite while i live in HK ..

in the sea said...

Now that all these nostalgic desserts and snack came back.

Thailand Club said...

back to nostalgic, becomes a modern trend ..

Stella said...

Yes old dessert new eat.
I like both item 1 and 2 a lot. I just had both over the weekend with $4 US each bowl.
This dessert eatery has reasonable price.