Sunday, March 01, 2009

Koh Lanta restaurant, Bangkok

TC often surprises me with new treats to some very interesting and impressive restaurants. No doubt he deserves a title as "Gourmet hunter". So this time he brought me to this far away place up to the North East of Bangkok. This restaurant is named as the southern island called Koh Lanta and the food is of course very Southern style of Thai cuisine. My impression is kind of mysterious since the restaurant's interior design is on a theme with a number of big porcelain jars. Those remind me of storing rice or water - especially for my childhood my family used these kinds of jars for keeping rice.

1/2. inside the restaurant.

3. the pillars of the restaurant are covered with all these big porcelain jars. 4. Forgot this soup whether it's Kaeng Lieung and it's pretty nice though a bit hot to me.

5. this is a southern style curry but it's not that spicy. Perhaps we asked for "not too spicy" when we order it. 6. Stir fried veggie.

7. Sweet and sour prawn - quite nice. 8. this river fish is a bit too sweet to me. Using garlic to cook fish is not a good way since garlic will make the fish meat too mashy unless it's deep frying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

#4 the soup is called Tom-som-goong (or sour prawn soup), it is similar to Tom-yum-goong. But Tom-yum is a Central dish, and Tom-som of course Southern.

Anonymous said...

#5 is the Crab Roe Curry Dip with whole Crab, eat with raw vegetables

in the sea said...

I guess Som means orange/tangerine, right? Yes, it is with the raw veggie for #5 dish, but it's good with rice to me.

Micheal Alexander said...

Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Koh lanta restaurant