Thursday, April 29, 2010

Phoenix City restaurant 鳳城酒家, Sheung Wan, HK

Influened by the last trip to Hoi Choi restaurant in Sheung Wan, I needed to try the other 3 restaurants at this corner end of Sheung Wan at the Western market place. 2nd try is at this Phoenix City Sheung Wan branch.

1. the table and with some pickled. The pickled is a bit sweet. 2. fish tank for various seafood.

3. Deep fried chicken (half at HK$90 and whole at $168). This one is pretty good but still the one in Prince Edward (Mongkok) is the best. 4. Sweet and sour pork HK$68. Check it's not that red color. It's not with any tomato sauce actually. It's made of the Chinese pickled and the red chili with vinegar, haw sauce mix. This is one of the classic way of the sauce mix and this one is a bit close to the sauce mix of "five pickled" (五柳). The pork is very nice deep fried and the 20%-fat tenderloin 柳梅 was used.

5. Mixed veggie casserole HK$56. Pretty good and quite classic. 6. Baked sago with lotus seed paste HK$60. Anyone who knows me well should know that I don't prefer sago sweet. No I don't but except for this one by Phoenix City. It's super good, and I often take 2-3 full bowls! The aroma of lotus seed paste and the sago custard!

7. Again I noticed quite many business men from the dried seafood/ginseng business. 8. the shop is at the tram way turning out to the Sheung Wan coast.

9 comments:

Thailand Club said...

oh i miss this restaurant a lot ..

Stella said...

Yes I missed all HK food a lot.
Sweet and sour pork is my favorite dish.
Is this dessert "Western Rice Pudding"? If yes, this is one of my favorite desserts in HK. Now hard to find this in LA.

in the sea said...

SS, yes, it's the one. I actually don't like this dessert except this one by Phoenix City. So aromatic and the lotus seed paste is very smooth.

Stella said...

Thank you Sea.

Thailand Club said...

i like this dessert too (in the school days) and now a bit too sweet for me

Stella said...

Yes this dessert it kind of sweet. I like it half due to the "sentimental reason"(childhood memory).

in the sea said...

Phoenix City's one is not that sweet and they let the lotus seed paste to taste so that we can taste the original flavour of sago custard part. That's why I only take this dessert by Phoenix City. :)

Stella said...

Not to sweet is good.
I don't like dessert being too sweet. I just like some aroma and flavor but not very sweet. That is why I cannot eat dessert/cake/pie in American Restaurant. The less sweet dessert is from Japanese French fusion ones.

in the sea said...

Then share it with someone else if it's too sweet, if you can't eat the whole portion.