Monday, April 12, 2010

Round 2, The Chef's Table, Aleenta Phang Nga, Thailand

I promised to come back for another try and Mr. Leon didn't let me down. However, that night turned out to be with one more table - 9 table setting in total and there were 6 taken already.
1. The menu. I choose 4 course this time with 2 appetizers together. 2. Coffee milk shake. Why I ordered it is because when I was at the beach front cafe, I smelled a very strong coffee aroma. It turned out to be pretty good.

3. more arts. 4. the complimentary appetitzer - snapper in crayfish sauce with a zest of light herb and pepper. Very fresh snapper and it's steamed. Steaming can't fake the freshness!

4. Hokkaido raw scallop in salsa sauce. Wow, when I took that green thing, it's avocado thin slice in curl. Very good cutting skill. Avocado gives the smooth texture with scallop with the no-too-spicy salsa dressing. Perfect! 5. Salmon pan seared with mussel. The salmon is cooked to a very nice texture. If it's overcooked, then the texture will be rough. If it's under cooked, then it will be not aromatic enough. This one is excellent!

6. pan seared tiger prawn. Also good and again it's cooked in a perfect timing. 7. lemon sorbet for tonight's break.
8/9. main course. lobster tail in seaweed sauce. Actually I should order the grain fed 120 days lamb loin! Mr. Leon felt a bit disappointed when I ordered this lobster tail. However, this one is also a pleasant surprise. He really knows how to make good use of local ingredients. The seaweed sauce is really special and at least it's something different to me.
10/11. Check what's the difference between these 2? They are actually 2 plates but on the left there is one more cheese cake and on the right, there are more fruits. :) So devil.

8 comments:

Stella said...

This is absolutely so devil and make us all envy here. Good so good, fresh, nicely presented and price so reasonable.
You made Lily Mo Chef want to move to Thailand.

Stella said...

Lily Mo Chef said you need to have money and time to go to French Restaurant in France. It takes 3 hours to finish one meal. And the
average decent meal without wine(not too fancy one) cost $60 US per person whereas in LA it is $25.

in the sea said...

Thanks Stella. Yes, I know how it's like for a French meal to be served but it's good to eat like that. I don't mind eating slow. Some of my friends sometimes wonder why I chew for a long time. I even told them the story about eating one raisin for 2 minutes to really taste it. BTW, eating slow is good for our stomach. The French dinner in this Chef's Table is also quite for long hours. At least it takes 1.5 to 2 hours.

My Paris friend told me she brought her boss to eat a salad in a very luxury hotel restaurant. It turned out that salad took 2 hours to be served to the table. and that sald is Euros 200. :)

Stella said...

Oh my God, it takes 2 hours to eat the salad at Euros 200. For sure this is not for me and Edmond.
See Edmond(and I) even complaint Shabb is too slow(from in and out takes 90 minutes).
So France does not fit me just for its high cost of living and the long eating time if not more.

in the sea said...

Nope, the preparation is 2 hours, not eating it for 2 hours. :) Not everything in France is expensive. The herb, Evian and some fruits and wine are not too expensive.

Stella said...

Thank you SEA for the note.
Evian is kind of expensive in LA.

in the sea said...

FYI, Evian 1.5 liter is Euros 0.70 (US$1). It's even cheaper than Watson's distilled water in HK. So it's just a matter of what we are looking at. We can't one-sided see something by hiding the others to be taken for granted.

Stella said...

Good to hear that there is something cheap in France, at least for Evian water.
Evian is my favorite water but kind of expensive here except when it is on sale.