Sunday, September 25, 2011

Zinc food on the boat.

Brought my friends to visit this fire fighter boat in Quarry Bay park.  One of them is a technician about boat.  He explained so many things we don't know about boat.  One of the interesting things is that the boat should have some zinc bars (the white things). It's used as a food attracting the microorganism to attach on it (i.e. those sea shell stuff) so that the other parts of the boat won't get eaten, especially the steer.   After a year, all these zinc bars were gone and need to be replaced.  Furthermore, in quite many areas inside the boat there are quite many mussels found.  Then I recall how my father often warned me not to eat mussels.  He said mussels eat a lot of metallic waste and it's very harmful to our body.  That's also why I don't like mussels.

6 comments:

Mickey Mouse said...

if u post it one day earlier, i will not eat mussels tonight .. waaaaa

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. That means the zinc bars are eaten by those sea shell stuffs so that they can save the boat. What a hero.
No wonder after I eat mussel my stomach kind of upset or painful.

SS

in the sea said...

Oops.. I thought I told you before, but maybe just simply told my grandma often dumped mussels from their fishing harvest. My father even told scallops are something very cheap and didn't know why it could be so expensive now, same for PP prawn. The only thing they consider it's a good shell fish is abalone and next to it are oyster, sea urchin, sea cucumber, conch. Clams are ok too. All others are considered as unwanted. Scallops are just on a pass. :)

Stella said...

Thank you for the shell fish class professor SEA.
You shall have told me earlier so that I won't have all those rashes and allergy on my feet after eating the shell fish.
Every time I eat mussel I have stomach ache. 2 out of 3 times.
Now I know why.

in the sea said...

If you cook it with some "winter" melon, it can help it a bit. That's why we would cook this kind of shell fish with some melon, such as 冬瓜蛤蜊湯.

Stella said...

Thank you Sea for the tips.
You are like Madam Lee Tsang Pang Jean.