Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A boy at 16

This time no more photo, no more food and no more guessing game. This evening I got told of a real story. It is about a boy at 16. His father dumbed the family some time ago and his mother has been put into jail. He gave up his school and went to a pharmacy in Tsuen Wan and works as a shop assistant from 9am to 9pm. The salary is not that good because he is just 16. When asked why he didn't call for a social worker and simply arranged for an urgent Government fund. He just replied "I don't want to rely on anyone and I don't want to rely on the Government. I have my own hands and besides, I need to use my own hands to take care of my younger sister.".

Unlike those lazy scum bags or greedy worms taking the advantage of the Government money, this boy decided to use his own hands to lead on his life and to take care of his sister.

The above may be just a simple story but it's 2008 in Hong Kong. Supposed this kind of story would only happen 30-50 years ago. I haven't heard of such an uplifting touching story for a long time. All I have mostly seen is the kids crying for computer, cellular phone, sport shoes...etc. If the parents can't give them such things, it is the problem of the parents because that would make them lose face in front of their school mates. What can we say? There is always a thin line between love and spoil.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have the link of this news?

Anonymous said...

Yes, a thin line between love and spoil. We should not spoilt the kids too much. The adults always think that they buy things for their kids is showing their love, especially when they don't have time for the kid, they think buy things is a compensation.

I hope this boy at 16 is doing ok and please let us know how he is doing if possible. Thanks.

Man

Stella said...

Yes this boy is a good example for all the spoiled and rotten kids, especially those rich brats from Taiwan or China who always blame their parents this and that.
Please give us the link regarding story of this boy so I can email this to others.

in the sea said...

There is no public news about it. Just I got told about this kid as I know this kid's school mate whose grand mom is my friend.

Man, I am already asking for any updates. However, I don't want to make it like a Truman's Show to report how he has been doing. I just hope to share for what we should learn from it - yes, from the kid. Be spontaneous and responsible. If we want our kids to be responsible and spontaneous, we need to show it in ourselves.