Friday, September 12, 2008

Moon Kee 滿記甜品, Hopewell Centre, Wanchai, Hong Kong (closed)

My friend and I used to complain why there is no dessert shop in Wanchai. Not even a street stall for selling red bean sweet. The only few choices are Hui Lau Shan and Dai Leung Bai Kee (大良八記). The latter one dropped the quality to the lowest point that I don't think it's worth for any re-visit after so many frustrations - yes frustration! Then for Hui Lau Shan, it's like you get in a super fast food shop. If you eat it slowly, you will have some starring eyes on you from the people waiting outside. Yet, the shop is packed and you don't even wanna stay any longer. The prices are not that cheap. A few months ago, when I walked by Hopewell Centre in Wanchai and noticed a big board of Moon Kee (coming soon). I feel like a drop of water on the desert! Every now and then I kept passing by it and finally last month it was opened finally - hehe that's why I went to Nha Trang quite many times because of my curiosity of the actual opening of this Moon Kee. So my long long waiting for it is worth it. I think now every 3-4 days, my friends and I would visit it. Herebelow are the sweet we have had and some of them are even repeated.
1: the shop is very spacious and nice place for chatting after a nice sweet
2: nice and delicate tableware

3. The left is the Mango/Herbal Jelly on creamy vanilla sauce - the vanilla sauce is excellent!
The right one is called White Snow and Black Pearl 白雪黑珍珠 - now my no. 1 dessert in Moon Kee. I didn't even realise they have had this one for many years after the shop manager explained to me. They put on top the mango cubes, dried longan (I think they steam the dried longan and preserve the sweet taste of it - very good technique), chewy white (forget the exact name - seems like 亞答子). In the middle is chopped banana, then the bottom is half transparent chewy pearl-like sago and the icy vanilla sauce. I can't believe all of these ingredients can be mixed so nice! Besides, it's chilly cold making the taste even surprisingly good. Cold dessert should be chilly cold and hot dessert should be very hot. My highly recommended dessert.
4. in the front it is the walnut sweet. However, that time the quality is not satisfactory. They didn't peel the walnut and it tasted a bit "bitter". Then when we told it to the shop manager, he immediately cancelled it from the bill, and claimed he would check it later and kept apologising. This is what we called services. We told him it may be from the central kitchen and not from the shop; so we told him to tell the central kitchen about this flaw. Then behind it is my once 1st love - Almond sweet (now replaced by White Snow Black Pearl). The quality is still there - perfect! They ground the almond with rice and it has a strong aroma of almond and rice. In many shops, they didn't put rice in it. So just a little rice makes it so different!

5. Sticky rice dumpling on peanut sesame syrup 糖不甩 - whenever I saw this one, I often recall the one made by my mother (yes the memory is so deep that even I was 6-7 back then). She roasted the peanut and crushed it in her own hand. I didn't know how she made that sticky rice dumplings as my eyes were just on the roasted peanut and syrup. When she put the hot sticky rice dumpling on the roasted peanut and syrup, the aroma was so good that I kept on eating it. OK, back to this one, it's not to my expectation. The peanut is not that aromatic and the sesame is too overwhelming. As for the sticky rice dumpling, it's not chewy enough.
6. Beancurd sheet, barley with egg white - another good try. The egg white is put into it at a right temperature - very smooth and smells good.

7. Mango in sticky rice dumpling - another signature dish from Moon Kee.
8. OK, another photo for White Snow Black Pearl - since this shop opened, I tried more than 4-5 times.

9. another photo with their menu. Their menu is so tempting.
10. Another look at this Mango/herbal jelly in mango/pomelo juice.

9 comments:

Thailand Club said...

oops tell ur friend behave not over eating sweet and desserts otherwise in bkk she eat no chocolate cake at all na :)

Stella said...

Yum yum. This is for sure better than Hui Lau Sha and Phoenix Dessert Boutique(LA), where I go buy mango tofu flower every Sat.
The presentation is also good and the utensils are appealing and colorful.
Everything looks so good here. I will tell my friend Flora to try as she works in Wanchai too.

Yai said...

Those desserts look tempting.

in the sea said...

Yes, she does behave quite much. Besides, the dessert of Moon Kee is not that sweet. I think that's also why I like it a lot. Too much sweet or salt just ruin the original flavour of food.

poly said...

As I know ShenZhen had 2 shops, also the sweet and desserts are very good, but the price not good.

in the sea said...

Yes, Moon Kee is expanding their business to other cities. Besides ShenZhen, Guang Zhou, Shanghai also have this branch.

Stella said...

I don't like dessert being too sweet as I feel it wastes my quota of sugar intake. That is why I like French pastires over Amercan ones as the former is not too sweet so the flavor is just right with no overdose of sugar.

Alpa said...

Moon Kee in Hopewell center is now closed (Aug 200).

in the sea said...

Thanks Alpa. Yes, we were also advised of the same by the Moon Kee in Citisuper food court. They said they can't get the lease renewal. Kind of disappointing as there are not enough dessert shops in Wanchai.