Monday, May 10, 2010

Back to Mine - 5 star deluxe at 1 star price, Wanchai, HK

It was a hot summer night in 2005. As usual, the Angel and I got on our adventurous road. We walked along Jeffe Road in Wanchai and wondered if we should go in Luk Kwok hotel. Right across the back entrance of Luk Kwok, we saw a local tea restaurant called 5 stars. I made a joke "well Luk Kwok is just a 4 star, do u wanna try this 5 stars?. We ordered a stir fried squid with veggie and a pan fried salty fish pork patty. Wow, what an amazing salty fish pork patty and it's the best I have ever tried! The squid is perfect for powerful super quick stir frying - juicy and tender and aromatic! However, later on a very rude waiter made us not visit this restaurant anymore. Somehow and someway tonight I was driven to pass by this restaurant and there I peeked if that waiter was still there. CLEAR! Herebelow is the encore.

1. Squid was kept in a very good condition and it's fresh and very juicy but not chewy. One remark about this restaurant is that the chef keeps the ginger/scallion sealed with a cover. Many restaurants made a mistake for not covering those ingredients which are easy to be gone with the aroma, e.g. garlic, parsley, ginger, scallion...etc. No matter how much you put those dried out ginger/scallion, the taste is not right though. The chef did make it to the point. Besides, the broccoli was done perfect and it's selected. Nothing rotten or old yellow. What's more, the chef used the golden/silver garlic (brown and raw garlic) and it's a good mix to bring garlic flavour to the squid. 2. My favourite salty fish pork patty. The chef used some semi fat pork and the fat with the salty fish bring a magic blast of devil flavour! The chef also put some scallion and stewed mushroom to make it sweeter and juicer. This dish just makes me blind from my high cautiousness about cholesterol and sodium.

3. This is the 5 star kitchen. 4. the look of this restaurant isn't appealing; so if not under a carpet search, I wouldn't find it. The bill is HK$82 for 2 dishes, 2 bowls of steamed rice, 2 bowls of soup and 2 iced drink (coffee, tea or ovaltine...etc.).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

These 2 dishes are part of my favorites. Once in a while we can afford not to think of cholesterol and sodium as long as we don't eat this every week.
I missed the Angel somehow.
SS

in the sea said...

Yep, but we may need to check the "once in a while" for not crossing it together with other "once in a while".

Stella said...

You are so right.
My problem is I eat this once in a while and I eat that once in a while so I end up eating all those forbidden food everyday.

in the sea said...

If you have a lot of exercises (cleaning the house counted), it should be ok. :)

Anonymous said...

In this case I can afford to eat more.
I do clean up my house, also clean up my food, clean up my plate, clean up my toilet, clean up my closet, clean up my wallet.... so more than enough exercise la. :)
SS

in the sea said...

Same same here. I cleaned my apt. ceiling, wall last weekend.

Stella said...

Hey, I heard from Jade Channel last night that real estate in your area inflated a lot recently .
They mentioned one place called Tung Tao Yuen.
So it is worth to clean your house, your ceiling, your closet just in case someone bring whole case of cash begging to buy your house.

in the sea said...

Tung Tao Yuen? Actually the Easter HK island is in lack of new buildings and besides the HK weather observatory said the best air quality area is the eastern part of HK. :)

Stella said...

Yes Tung Tao Yuen in "Shout K Wan" was being introduced in Jade Channel 2 days ago. I missed the 1st part until I heard Shout K Wan then I paid attention.