Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Five Dragon Congee and Wonton shop, 五龍粥麵店, Central, Hong Kong

Remember the Lee Tung Street 利東街 (the so-called "greeting card street"囍帖街) of Wanchai? There was an old shop called five dragon selling some nostalgic wonton and shrimp dumplings and congee over 40 years at least. Some tycoon rich men even asked their drivers to go to this shop for a quick snack. That was my high school time I ran in this shop with school mates and noticed that, after my bicycle riding in Bowen Road. When Lee Tung Street was under re development in 2005, the shop moved to Central. So tonight I got to re-visit this old friend.

1. Ordered a satay beef on stir fried flat rice noodle HK$38. The noodle is a fresh one and stir fried aromatic but not burnt, not oily either. Personally I don't like satay sauce but this one is pretty good. 2. Phoenix city shrimp dumplings 鳳城水餃 HK$20. I think this is still the only few ones I have found they put very little bit of chicken liver in it. Very classic style of the origin. Besides, some bamboo shoot and soaked dried mushroom slices bring the shrimp taste so sweet. The only minor thing I can complain is the soup base. Should have been a bit more "five spices" to go with this one.

3. Fish patty ball congee HK$25. Wow, they still the classic way of congee boiling. High heat boiling without cover 明火。It has a very nice rice aroma indeed. The fish patty is their home made too, with some dried tangerine peel. 4. The chefs and the waiters are very senior and I believe they also moved from the old shop. The shop appeared to be a bit quiet though.
5. the new shop is on Jubilee Street.

No comments: