Monday, March 29, 2010

Legacy of Portugese egg tart, The Excelsior, Hong Kong

Remember the Portugese egg tarts sweeping accross every corner of the street in Hong Kong? It all began from a shop called Andrew's in Mongkok. It actually brought in the Macau Tea Room to land the Hong Kong market. Later on, even KFC jumped in this market. However, the wind would stop. So everyone changed their heart overnight. Last week, I passed by the lift lobby of the Excelsior hotel and the logo Illy caught my right eye's corner attention. There I went in and there I found out the lost and the original Portugese egg tart by Andrew's at this hermit deli shop of Excelsior.

1. The Egg Tart (with green tea flavour) HK$8. Not expensive at all considering it's sold at a Hotel Deli shop. It's still good and it's not greasy at all, though it "looks" like. 2. Frappachino by Illy HK$33. So rich in coffee aroma and not too sweet. Good to go with the egg tart.

5 comments:

Thailand Club said...

$8 HKD is not expensive at the Excelsior, one of the Mandarin Oriental's hotels

Anonymous said...

So you mean Excelsior belongs to MO chain?
Is Excelsior "Yee Tung Hotel"?
Egg tart here is from $1 to $1.2 US.
SS

in the sea said...

Correct. Not expensive at all and even the coffee is cheaper than Starbucks. SS, yes, it's Yee Tung in Chinese pronounciation.

Stella said...

Thank you SEA. So my memory is still there. "Yee Tung" Hotel used to be one of the top hotels during my old days. Glad to see some good old things still last till now. Just like when I went to Lawry's and noticed the menu and food(also the decoration and the price) did not change much I just have a warm feeling. Like seeing a long lost old friend. Finally something lasts long enough to let me feel the sense of eternity. This(good oldies being maintained) is a luxury in modern world.

in the sea said...

Yes, that's also why I got so anxious to talk to those captains in Jade Garden. If it's an unknown place, I wouldn't care.