Saturday, March 06, 2010

Spring review: Lawry's Prime Rib, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

1. My favourite sourdough and bacquette. Lawry's is one of the few places in HK I can get sourdough. 2. it was around 8pm but most customers arrived at 9pm.
v
3. a closer look to my favourite sourdough. 4. Lobster Bisque HK$85. It's pretty good but a bit too creamy and salty to me. If the cognac is a bit stronger, it would be perfect.

5. A frozen fork to take their famous spinning chilled salad. This is something simple but very thoughtful. Eating should be like that. We should care about some little details in our meals. 6. Spinning salad. Still very good. I often regard food to be served either hot or chilling cold. I don't prefer it to be at room temperature except water.

7. Spicy mustard and creamy mustard. I prefer the spicy one. 8. Lawry's cut HK$428. It's about 18 oz. Awesome! At this size of cut, it's so juicy and tender. However, I found a piece of wrapping paper on the outskirt. Though it's not that serious, I needed to tell the waitress to relay it to the Chef that they need to check on the other parts of the rib so that the customers wouldn't get the same. Of course, the waitress insisted to replace with another one, but I refused so by telling her that such a nice rib being dumbed is not what I want. That piece of paper is nothing but I need to have the Chef be aware of that.

9. Yoshire pudding. Personally i don't like it much as it's too filling. 10. Roast Spring chicken HK$298. Lawry's may need to concentrate on prime rib. The meat is too dry. I can tell the process of defrost wasn't done well. It was probably defrosted in either air or water exposure. By way of this, the meat juice would be gone easily. Roast chicken is another one which we think it's easy to cook. Sorry it's not.

11. Raspberry cake. I was offered this dessert complimentary due to the prime rib tiny flaw. Though it's not a big deal, the gesture is and in fact the waitress kept saying "sorry". 12. Iced decafe coffee, also complimentary.
13. It's on the 4/F of Lee Garden's mall.

7 comments:

Thailand Club said...

wow there comes the Lawry's again, yummy yummy yummy ..

wonder when it will enter to TH market :)

Stella said...

1) You are lucky to eat at Lawry so frequently.
2) You are nice enough not to let the waitress replace your rib.
3) What means "spinning chilled salad"? Do you mean they keep spinning the salad in front of you when serving?
4) I agree food shall be eaten either hot or cold but not lukewarm. I hate lukewarm soup. The only lukewarm I can take is water.
5) "Lawry" has more varieties in HK. In LA only prime rib and salad and some side orders like creamy spinach, corn... No chicken in LA.
6) Why drink decaf coffee? Because of night time?

in the sea said...

SS, sometimes while we keep asking for services and quality, we also need to see if the mistakes are serious. If a fly or a worm is found, of course, don't take it. That was just a wrapping paper left on the outskirt. We need to be reasonable to raise our comments. Re Spinning salad, check the video above. :) Very authentic! I prefer decaf coffee at the night time.

Stella said...

My French chef friend to visit HK for some inspiration.

in the sea said...

And if possible, to Bangkok as well, Le Normandie of MO BKK is a gem in Asia!

Stella said...

That is what I told them. They shall visit both HK and BKK to inspire and explore.

in the sea said...

Yes, trying more and seeing more to get inspired. I develop my own drunken chicken wings from my trial of the drunken chicken from a restaurant in Taipei.