Thursday, March 25, 2010

Uncle Steamed milk restaurant 燉奶佬, Wanchai, Hong Kong

1. Familiar with this name? Yes, this uncle is coming back with more than his renowned steamed milk and it's expanding to quite many districts, and this one is on Tai Wo Street (side street of Hang Seng Bank on Johnston Road, quite close to the closed down Lung Mun Chinese restaurant).

1. Lime soda. 2. Hainanese chicken rice. The rice is very coconut flavoured but quite oily to me. The soup is pretty nice. Chicken not bad either. This set is at HK$40.

3. Black pepper steak on rice with drink at HK$42. When I first looked at the sauce, it didn't look appealing but when I tasted it, my high school memory came back! This is it - the black pepper sauce and it's very black pepper aromatic. The rice is cooked to a nice texture, also very hot. It geared up my appetite.... 4. yes, this is my further order for a stir fried squash with beef in XO sauce on flat rice noodle HK$35 (with drink). Again, the flat rice noodle doesn't look good either, but it surprised me. Very smooth texture and it's slightly stir fried in the wok. Quite aromatic. The beef and squash were stir fried nicely. The sauce is good too.

5. When we wanna order their renowned steamed milk, oops... too late (just 8pm) that it's sold out. So the shop maanger offered a free dessert to cheer us up. Red bean and herbal jelly in coconut milk. Very chilled and the coconut milk is not too sweet but very aromatic. So they really know how to keep customers. For sure I will go back for trying the steamed milk.

6 comments:

Thailand Club said...

wow tearoom got a face-lift, clean and even hv good service

their price is quite reasonable

Anonymous said...

I try it too. yes, the shop is very clean and price not high. the steamed milk is very good.

Stella said...

Good price and good service(since they know how to please customer with free dessert).

in the sea said...

Yes, that's the point. I know why now those Maxim's restaurants are half full or just 30-40% full.

Stella said...

My few friends said Maxim quality has been declining since one year ago(including restaurants and moon cake). And she got stomach ache after eating its moon cake. But may be only a co-incience though.

in the sea said...

I see. I wish they didn't change to another orient of management, since they really cut down their food purchasing, and even worse than any local tea room.