Monday, March 08, 2010

The Serenade 映月樓, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Serenade 映月樓 - both the Chinese and English names of this restaurant next to the HK Cultural Center has been the most impressive and also the most visited places for me in the 90's. So much memory too. It's also one of the restaurants I recommended foreign visitors to try after taking the evening tour to see the night view of Victoria Harbour.
1. The entrance. 2. The restaurant has a spectacular view to Victoria Harbour. The restaurant dims the light a bit to let the view be more scenic.

3. the snack. 4. pork chop in haw and salty plum sauce 話梅山楂焗肉排 - HK$80. First the sauce is not that haw and salty plum taste. It's super sweet and some slight plum flavour. When it's claimed to be that interesting combination, they should surprise people with something blasting. If those who can't take the sour and intrigue flavour of haw and salty plum, they wouldn't order this dish. So I really don't know what's in the Chef's mind. Second it's not pork chop. It's ribs with fat. Yes, 95% fat! What's more, it's frozen ribs! I then told the waitress about that and simply threw back all those fat chops on the dish and she gave a nod without any gesture of taking any remedy. OK, for my prejudice to my fondness of Serenade, I took it as a one mistake of a million.
5. tofu fish patty in mixed mushroom casserole HK$98. This one saved my previous disappointment from the fat chops. The fish stock is excellent! The tofu fish patty is awesome! So tender and fresh. Finished it all. 6. Duck braised with preserved veggie (梅菜扣鴨) HK$128. First the duck is too young for this braised dish. Second the preserved veggie is not 梅乾菜. Though in many menus it doesn't specify 梅乾菜 but for braising it should be this one. The one we normally find in grocery is 梅菜 which is good for steaming and some shimmering with food...etc. The third is that this preserved veggie hasn't been marinated well with yellow wine and next to stir fried to give a better aroma to this one before braising. So the whole dish is not impressive at all.
7. Rich men fried rice 富貴炒飯 HK$128. This one and the duck are rated as the best dish in some culinary competition. I should actually stay away from this kind of award or xxx rating thing. Another showing of how the so-called "award winning" or xxx rating is. First the prawns were marinated with heavy soda! What a disgrace! Second some artificial abalone was used! I couldn't help it and called the captain. Told him that I paid $128 for this fried rice but given soda prawns! I also brought up the fat chops to let him be aware that something wrong with the kitchen. He then told that he would replace another one but I stopped him by telling him "nothing wrong with the rice and I didn't want to waste the rice. You can still charge me for this fried rice. I also wanna tell you that I have been to this place many times years ago and so I have an affection for this restaurant and so I need to tell you this to relay to the Chefs to make some correction. I ordered this fried rice because it's on the award winning recommendation. Please don't forget about that on how hard you guys got that!". So he then insisted on offering some dessert but I refused so by telling him "my comments is not to ask for some dessert in return. Your correction is the nice gift back to me, instead of some dessert.". Some may think I shouldn't bother to say too much. It's simply because I have an unspeakable affection with this restaurant.

2 comments:

Stella said...

1) Looks like this restaurant is more suitable for foreign visitors than local gourmets.
2) The portion is small and price is expensive(my cheap standard).
3) From the photos shown, I thought this is Shanghai or Mandarin food as all dishes have dark color.
4) The entrance, the setting and the view are impressive, that may cost 1/3 of the bill(another 1/3 for its location in prime area of Tsim Sha Tsui).

in the sea said...

Correct but the prices are same as the other Maxim's outlets like Jade Garden. I do notice a lot of foreign visitors and that's why they may adapt the taste but I really don't appreciate the way they go too far.