Thursday, August 05, 2010

Chiu Chow Garden, 潮庭 City Plaza phase IV, Taikooshing, HK

Expecting this restaurant to be open in Taikooshing. On the first 2 days, I tried and compared it with their branch in Hutchison's House.

1. inside the restaurant. 2. the table ware are all in blue and white.

3. Spare ribs baked in bean paste sauce. HK$68. A bit too sweet. The bean paste sauce not strong enough. 4. Chilled pig's knuckle terrine HK$48. This one is very nice and most fat was taken out as you can see from the photo. Not very salty.

5. Sliced goose meats HK$88. Due to its location, it's $20 cheaper than Hutchison's House. Not bad and meat quite juicy. 6. Spare ribs, soy beans and bitter gourd casserole HK$58. I like this one. Not many chefs would know how to use some chili to bring out the exotic fragrance of bitter gourds. Besides, some preserved veggie was put to bring more flavour to this casserole.

7. Chilled sliced Kai Lan HK$38. Nice chill dishes with slight touch of sesame oil and very little salt and sugar. So the Kai Lan's original flavour was there. 8. The presentation of this renowned Hakka dish is of some idea. However, it's not the original style of this double stew pork with preserved veggie. I think I have explained the difference of 梅菜 and 梅干菜. Though the title of this dish is on the former one but the original cooking is on the latter one. These 2 are so different. The former can't be cooked for a long time and it's sweeter. The latter one can be cooked for hours and has a flavour of wood and a perfect match to the deep fried pork (rinsed in tea) in this double stew cooking. So far only Tsui King Lau in Wan Chai made this dish right.

9. Dai Tay fish chunks stir fried with Kai Lan HK$58. Pretty nice quick stir frying. 10. Sweet and sour fish. HK$75. The sauce is a bit too sweet.
11. Octopus patty with old duck soup HK$92. This soup is pretty nice. The duck was first burnt a bit to take out the smell. Octopus patty is quite bouncy and made the soup pretty sweet. 12. Chicken steamed with fresh shrimp and dried shrimp HK$78. The name of this dish made me so curious to order. It should be eaten when it's hot. Some selected dried shrimp was used.

13. Aloe vera mango jello HK$18. Super sweet. 14. Almond sweet HK$18. Pretty nice and in consistent quality.

15. Green bean sweet HK$15. A typical Chiu Chow sweet. 16. the entrance.

11 comments:

Thailand Club said...

wow the chilled pork knuckle terrine can be a real treat to me! i love terrine, whether it is Chinese or French, i love them all ..

Stella said...

You had 3 kinds of dessert huh.

I used to like the "Chuen Jiu" Chicken, the "salty and sour" veggie and the mashed taro paste with "silver almond"(Bark Guo)from Chiu Chow Restaurant.
LA has no authentic Chiu Chow Restaurant at all.

in the sea said...

Lord Jim's made very nice terrine and pate too. :)

Stella, then pls try the taro ice cream from Thon Kruen.

P.S. Think I have been to too many provincial restaurants and finally I mixed up something, I said the stew pork with preserved veggie as Chiu Chow dish. It's not. It's a Hakka cuisine.

Mickey Mouse said...

yes Lord Jims serves very nice terrine and pate, and the Oriental Shop once served superb pate too ..

Stella said...

Yes SEA, I shall try the ice cream in Thon Kruen. Hope this is in TC's eating agenda. Or else we can skip him and go by ourselves.

in the sea said...

BUT please do that before MO. We will be trapped in MO for helping to clean in the kitchen and sweep in the lobby floor...etc. $219 room rate is with this entertainment. The rate $280 is with the other activities like nursing babies, feeding fishes...etc.

Stella said...

Har, helping to clean the kitchen and sweep the lobby at MO. This is good for Chris. I let Chris to do my share too for his own benefit.
And I will feed the fish and babysit, which I enjoy a lot.
I have checked with my customer who just came back from BKK to LA, she said MO at $222 is kind of low($260 to $280 is more like it).
She thinks we have a high chance staying in the storage or wood room. You are right SEA. Your kidding may turn out to he true.

in the sea said...

Well, this time the fish you are going to feed is not the milder one. They may be piranha. So those babies need to be taken care of must be some "trouble" ones. Good luck!

Stella said...

Oh yeah, I like "trouble" ones.
I used to dealing with trouble customers, trouble loans, trouble matters.....
As for you, MO may want you to finish all the foods left in the kitchen since you have 4 stomach. Ha Ha Ha.
BTW, something funny at your blog tonight. Every time I made a comment they ask me to type some funny letter to verify. Every single comment needs verification like getting money from ATM.
I think this is the Internet problem you talked about.

in the sea said...

Stella, it's not a fault on the net. It's a new setting by me since I need to spin off those spam comments on my blog. Sorry about the inconvenience but it's needed now since those spams made me so much in headache.

Stella said...

Oh I see.
You can tell I am not a computer person. Not at all.