Thursday, August 19, 2010

La Bons Brasserie, Garden East, Wanchai, HK

Got curious to know what this restaurant is every time when I visited Nha Trang Vietnamese restaurant in Wu Chung House (next to Hopewell Center) on Queen's Rd. East Wanchai. It was so packed every time I saw it from the other side. At today's lunch I got to give it a try.

1. the entrance. A bit too obvious to have this poster to make it like French. They serve lunch set from HK$88-128. 2. The table setting.

3. So I took a photo at Nha Trang on the other side. 4. the bread. As you can see, they don't have a very nice bread cutting knife. Yet, the flour base for the bread wasn't done too well - a bit too uneven.
5. their welcome drink. Well, I can say it's pretty close to Schwepp's grapefruit soda. Probably it may be some brands like Mountain Dew. Since I don't drink soda much, I can't tell exactly what it is. 6. Iced coffee - not surprising at all. What made it worse is that they use Carnation evaporated milk. Well, if the coffee is in good quality, it's fine to use Carnation. However, when it's not that good, they should use the local tea room's typical "black/white" evaporated milk as such a thick strong milk can cover up the flaw of a low quality coffee.

7. I chose a roast beef with asparagus as the appetizer. Looks good. Yes, "looks" so. I would rather appreciate the way they dare not to put any seasoning on it. However, if the roast beef is of a better quality, we shouldn't cover the original flavour. This one is too dried out and I believe it's been in the fridge with the asparagus for quite long time. It has a strong "fridge" smell. What was funny is the low quality teriyaki sauce. The Chef should simply put very light olive oil with some balsamic vinegar to cover it up. 8. Grilled 3 Japanese scallops with angel hair in black truffle mushroom sauce. At first, when I noticed they mentioned 3 scallops, I would think it's at least 1.5 inches big scallop. It's turned out it's less than an inch. Besides, it's not grilled. The final expected-to-be-surprising is that they can find some mushroom without any mushroom flavour. I then tried to wake my taste buds to scan the black truffle. No, nothing at all. Then I decided to forget about the dessert.

7 comments:

Thailand Club said...

wow what an experience, but look at they have to offer HK$88 lunch set, we hv a cue of the quality; why don't she change the name to Da Buono, the food serve is more Italian then French ..

Stella said...

$11 US for this lunch set is good price for French cuisine in HK(or LA).
I miss Schwepps Cream Soda a lot.

in the sea said...

I think my points listed were to tell while they wanna make it simple and let the original taste, I would appreciate that but if they can't give the better quality due to the price, it's fine. Then they should have some cooking method to cover it up. I don't mind they put some heavy seasoning since the lunch set is around HK$100.

in the sea said...

BTW, the restaurant is claimed "fusion for French and Italian". I notice quite a lot of English-speaking Asians visit there, probably due to its deco. Re the black truffle, they should learn from the HK$8.5 Jack & Jill artificial black truffle flavour. In that sense, I would think they do a good job. We have to put ourselves in the appropriate position of what we should face with. If we want some food at low price, then we should change our mode to get prepared with more msg and seasoning. This restaurant is a bit disoriented in trying to make their food preserved in its original taste but too bad it just exposed the weakness on the contrary.

pixmation said...

Personally I prefer non fusion food. Very few restaurants do it well.

in the sea said...

Some words represent "trend" or "fashion". For example, chill out music. Any downtempo beat or kind of ambient moody music are now in this category. However, when the electronic music arrived in the 80's, there is one type of music called new age. New age music splits into some fast tempo beat music and now we call it "trance. Then the down tempo one is "chill out". I can say some music by Dione Warrick is chill out and music by ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) is trance in the old days.

Stella said...

Glad to see you here Pixmation.