Saturday, October 16, 2010

Forum Restaurant Ah Yat Abalone阿一鮑魚, BKK

I went with TC and friends to this restaurant twice within a short period of time. The first visit turned out to be very nice, but the second visit dropped a bit. My guess is that TC ordered the dishes directly with his acquainted manager and so something may have been remarked. The steamed pork patty is impressive. The chef spent quite some time in spanking the patty 撻肉餅 which results in a very bouncy texture. Then the duck congee is so good that I took 3 bowls, and especially to me who dislikes congee.

Then on the second visit, TC just ordered the dishes without bothering the manager as that manager was very busy. It turned out something not appropriate. Check the last 5 photos. First, they replaced the conch slices with "coral" clams. The latter ones are much cheaper than the former one. Anyway, the manger was very smart and noticed how come that wrong dish was on our table when he saw TC in the restaurant. I would feel the pain for this manger in managing the restaurant. It simply tells running a restaurant is really not that easy. After all, Forum restaurant at this Ramada Riverside hotel is still much worth trying when you look for some HK style Cantonese food.



























5 comments:

Stella said...

The dishes here look good to me.
They serve moon cake and herbal jello too huh.
I admire this manager as he is very diligent, attentive, and has good P.R. skill. Even TC did not come here for 2 years he still treats him very nice and force us to have some free dessert.

in the sea said...

No need to try moon cake and herbal jello. So far in BKK, the best is from Mei Jiang (Peninsula BKK). Then herbal jello is from Crystal Jade Paragon.

Anonymous said...

You praising Peninsula for once :)
How much was the total meal?

Stell, your always posting here do you have a blog also?

Stella said...

Anonymous 10:14 AM,

I don't have a blog as I only enjoy reviewing other people's blog than doing my own blog.

Also I don't have time, skill, interest for making a blog.

Amen.

in the sea said...

Thanks Anonymous. I wasn't sure about the first meal and it's generally THB350-500 per dish, and some even more, say Peking duck (I guess).

Re Mei Jiang & Peninsula, it's hard to avoid any bias as we have our own reference and prejudice. However, whenever possible, we should hold our prejudice. The room and the whole hardware of Peninsula and their management are really the worst. However, their cafe a-la-carte service and moon cakes are another fact. I can't say they are bad because of the experience from their lousy room and management.