Wednesday, May 28, 2008

BBQ beef in lettuce, by Samwong Garden, Seoul

More than 10 years ago, my Korean colleague brought me to a very nice BBQ restaurant Samwong in Gangnam (south of the river - actually some of the Korean words sound quite alike Chinese Mandarin or Cantonese). Then I realised the BBQ meat should be eaten in this way. Place the beef on a lettuce, put some bean paste, some kimchi or other condiments as served, fresh garlic slice. Roll it and eat it. In Hong Kong, when we take Korean food, we often eat meat and other condiments separately. Well, there were several times my friends and I went to the Korean BBQ in Wanchai. We brought a scissor to cut all the food and stir fry them on the BBQ place. The Korean lady in the shop showed her interesting look. I think she was really annoyed with our adapting the Korean food culture into a Sino-Korean cooking. Sorry Madam!

No comments: