Monday, May 26, 2008

Taiwan beef noodle


Finally I can find a nice Taiwan beef noodle in Hong Kong. The renowned "First Wife beef noodle" isn't good enough for me, but just a substitute if I want the Taiwan beef noodle. The "First Wife beef noodle" lacks the flavour in the beef. They missed the star anise and the Hua Chieu "花椒" in making the beef. Yet, their beef is a bit too soft. The best beef for me should be tender and a bit chewy. Then the soup should be with some fried chilli oil. Also the most important part is the noodle. This one is a hand-made noodle. Though it's soaked in the soup for a while, it's still chewy. Then we also ordered the soupless noodle with veggie/pork dumplings. It's mixed with the Taiwanese meat sauce. It's pretty good but the meat sauce should be with some fat. Anyway, you are health conscious, this is a good one. OK, this shop is called Taiwan Kitchen (or Noodle) on Wanchai Road in between Charter Hotel and Jade Furniture shop, quite close to Morrison Hill swimming pool. *remarks: this shop was closed in late 2008.

2 comments:

Stella said...

I had this Taiwan style beef noodle at Taiwan Airport everytime during my transit. It was quite good. And later I know this restaurant won some award too. They opened at 6:30 am.

in the sea said...

Well, I will try to go to one Taiwan noodle shop in Taipei tomorrow and take a photo. That's almost the best I have ever tried. It's inside the small lane of the famous computer mall "Guang Hwa". Actually there is one nice beef noodle shop in Taichung, but it's now too far to go (2 hours by bus).