Friday, August 21, 2009

Cadero, Grill and Oyster, Sunday brunch buffet

Passed by this restaurant several times in Harbour City, Tsimshatsui and noticed there is a brunch buffet offfering tapas (appetizer or snack in Spanish) and dessert at HK$118. So tried it anyway. Besides cold tapas, the shop's waiters and waitresses will offer some hot tapas like grilled sardines, fried squid or tiny fishes, sausage, lamb ribs, chicken wings...etc. The services is pretty good and the food quality is average. If you want a main course like steak or fish fillet...etc., you can add $40 for that. However, I told my friends if you don't feel like getting the hot tapas and want an extra main course order, why not go get the lunch set for the same with antipasto buffet, a choice of hot main course and dessert buffet plus coffee/tea at Cova in the same complex of Harbour City as that semi-buffet lunch is just HK$168? Anyway, some people often think certain high-end branded names mean expensive without even going to check their menu. On another end, some cheap-look restaurants may bite like a Big White Shark...mmh...be careful.

1/2. the cold dishes are quite average - not too bad or suprising.

3. The kitchen must be in such a hurry to grill the chicken wings. Kids' mothers would find this one good as it's not "hot air" by looking at the lightly burnt skin color. The lamb ribs is so so. 4. clams in Sake hot sauce - the taste is average. By the way, the shop served some mixed veggie clear soup. In such a hot summer time and the shop put "tapas" buffet as the theme, they should consider making Gazpacho (a Spanish chilled soup).
4. I think the best one is the grilled sardines. Maybe it had better be to try their grilled food since the restaurant put "grill" as their theme, and certainly try their oyster. 5. deep fried squid - so so.

5. the mini-sandwich - tastes quite aveage. 6. caramelized banana, waffle and bread pudding - quite ok.

7. Choco. mouse, fruit/custard pastry, blue berry/raspberry cheeze cake, NY cheese cake - wondering if they steam the cakes.... quite interesting texture.... 8. the dessert station. the fruits can be gone in a minute as there are more than 40-50 tables.

6 comments:

Paranoid Android said...

That looks like a good spread of food. And I am surprised that it costs that little. The hotels in HK charge an arm and a leg for just so so food. I am glad you enjoyed your Sunday!

Anonymous said...

$168 HK dollar is not that bad. So not everything is expensive in HK la.
SS

in the sea said...

Yes, the hotel food charges are relatively high in HK due to the high cost. I often tried to book a buffet at JW Marriott but got told "sorry Sir, our buffet is full for the coming 2-3 weeks.... what about...?". It's not cheap. It's almost close to HK$500. You know why - the kids are very rich nowadays. A report told that the kids in HK are the richest around the World. I absolutely agree to it when I heard my friend's kid, at 15, telling me he just bought a bag from LV! I feel I am a very "cheap" person, often taking buffet at less than $200 - Luk Kwok hotel.

SS, $168 brunch deal by Cova is a super choice. Will definitely go for it and report later... :)

Stella said...

Yes HK people and HK kids are the most fortunate group in the world.
Yes SEA please go to COVA asap so I can "eat" your food here free of charge. SEA, if you like you are cheap then how about us?

Unknown said...

wow, nice food

yes, how can a nice tapas set without sardines, nice restaurant

in the sea said...

At least someone once claimed why I take food from food court at my business position? Just like there was one time an insurance broker questioned me why I didn't have cheques for payment 15 years ago as I was a xxx director. I simply told them "after I exit this company's door, I am nobody.". SS, my original meaning is someone often putting themselves on a high level by disregarding the others and thinking they are the superior.

Yes, Khun Michael, I guess I should go to this restaurant again for their grill though the dessert and the tapas might not be good enough to me. Their grilled sardines are quite nice.