Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Impiana Resort, Chaweng Noi, Koh Samui, Thailand

During the stay at the Sarann, we passed by all the hotel resorts along Chaweng Noi and found this one pretty nice on the beach front. Impiana has various theme dinner buffet for every night. So this night we had the "mini Thai" buffet at THB399 net. The hotel was very frank on the few variety of the buffet and named it as "mini" buffet and which was why they charged at THB399 net. However, variety is not the point but the taste and quality is. It turned out quite a pleasant surprise for me.
1. the beachfront lounge. 2. the beachfront restaurant - though there were only a few tables, the hotel still had someone performing traditional Thai music.

3. The table setting is not luxurious but it's quite spacious. 4. I was told by the Chef to try their noodle soup. The soup base is nice and the fish ball is not that fishy smell. I went back to the Chef and told him "thanks for such a nice noodle soup". Then he further told me to try their Pad Thai.... The waitress next to him further stressed "His Pad Thai is very good". Well, how could I resist for my favourite Thai noodle (see the below)?
5. OK - another noodle but stir fried. I was so glad that they did make it very nice. As there was very few people, I stood in front of the Chef table and enjoyed watching his live show. He first pan fried the battered egg and put it aside. Pan frying the battered egg would give a nice aroma in the pan. He then did the same for the prawns at high heat; so the prawns were a bit burnt - goodorf! Then he pan fried the dried shrimp, leeks, chopped red onion and dried tofu, and then put the tamarind sauce, a bit fish sauce/sugar, very little chilli and brown it a bit and put water to make a sauce. So the final step is to put the sen lek (noodle) to stir fry it for half a minute at high heat, then finalise with bean sprout and crushed peanuts. It turned out very nice and I got a free lesson for learning how to cook pad thai! I am definitely motivated to buy some tamarind sauce. 6. Tom Kha seafood - this one is also nice though it's a bit strong in coconut taste.

7. fish cake/yum prawn salad/yum squid salad/pan fried fish fillet/fish cake - all are quite nice except the yum is a bit too hot for me. 8. sweet and sour fish fillet/minced pork with basil (very hot one but nice)/stir fried veggie/pineapple fried rice. In general the food is quite nice and the ingredients are fresh too.

9. coconut sweet cake/pumpkin cake/fresh fruits. One thing never disappoints in Thailand is the fruits - so good!!!! the sweet cake is very sweet but it should be at Thai dessert standard. 10. corn in coconut milk - this is the one I wouldn't try but after my friend tried it and gave me a surprising look, I tried it and took it all! The coconut sweet is very balanced with some salty taste in it. This is the balanced cooking technique - some sugar in salty dish and some salt in sweet dishes to bring out the striking taste of salty and sweet taste.

2 comments:

Stella said...

The food looked very delicious and local.

in the sea said...

Yes, indeed I am a bit surprised as Samui is very touristic to me.