Saturday, August 22, 2009

Wonton soup, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong

After a nice Cova iced mocha, I then turned to a stark contrast of taste - wonton (shrimp/pork dumpling). By the way, wonton was taken for "breaking the gloomy and clumpsy stuff in the break of the Spring season" in the ancient Chinese tradition". Our old ascendants used to eat wonton in the Chinese New Year season. When you bite the dumpling, the meat and the juice inside blast in your mouth and that means "breaking". However, nowadays, it is eaten any time you want. I used to wrap wonton with my elder sister for the lunch on my grand mom's birthday. At that time my grand mom. brought an interesting dried fish and it looked like a mini-sea monster. It's the essence of the wonton soup. I don't know the proper English term and in Chinese it's 大地魚 (a fish very flat like sole).
1. Wonton soup - HK$18. I used to go to this shop when I worked in Tsimshatsui and Jordan area back in the 80's. It's around on the side street between Ashley Road and Hankow Road. It's not super good but in Tsimshatsui, it may be a pretty good one. Fish ball soup - it's also not that good but I kind of like it taste-wise, kind of the common street stall lettuce fish patty soup (魚肉生菜湯)in our school time. :) Also the little fake shark's fin soup, curry fish ball, BBQ squid.. :) Do you miss them?
3. the shop has been there over 20 years. 4. Ka Ka Lok fast food shop (家家樂快餐店) - this is one of the old fast food shops offering the orange-color tomato sauce pork chop with rice and black pepper steak over rice and of course stir fried beef flat rice noodle.... It is still there.


5. Ashley Road is now with quite a no. of restaurants from Korean to Italian.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, i miss them :(

Stella said...

I missed them too TC.
That is ok, I will bring you more from "Wong Fu" next time.

in the sea said...

won ton from Wong Fu? Uncooked or cooked?

Stella said...

Yes I brought him ready-to-eat cooked wonton noodle soup and "shui gao" from Wong Fu(I forgot the English name-King Palace?) at the HKG airport.
The wonton tastes so good. There are no roasted goose or BBQ pork available before 10:30 am(and we were boarding 10 am).

Anonymous said...

thanks SS, pls don't bring me Wong-Fu Dynasty wonton noodle again, neither roasted duck; but BBQ pork is ok

SEA, Dynasty pack the cooked wonton and the soup separately, so it was pour the soup to the bowl when we eat

TC

Anonymous said...

Wong Fu also have ready-to-go roast goose in the box(whole goose) after 11 am daily.
SS

in the sea said...

I see. However, cooked wonton kept for hours might not be good. Mmmh... I shall see how I will deal with this one. Freshly made wonton from HK and to be eaten in BKK freshly. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sea,
In fact, the wonton noodle with separated soup will be ok just for 2-hour flight. And there is air-con in the plane.
I always put my lunch at my office and that is more than 2 hours.
But I don't think you need to eat HK wonton noodle soup in BKK though.