Saturday, August 22, 2009

Oliver's, from delicatessen to super sandwiches shop, Hong Kong

The first time I encountered western food like olive, pate, parma ham...etc. is from this Oliver's. Oliver's used to be a western food grocery in some places like Repulse Bay, Prince's Bldg. and Tai Hang mid-level area....etc. Among these, I guess the one in Repulse Bay might be the first one and also the one I got to know all of these western food. Later on, there was a deli section offering some sandwiches. I recalled I used to buy some sandwiches from that shop in the early 80's and went to the beach side for a sunny afternoon. Every now and then I would visit Oliver's for a sandwich, but not that often as in the 80's. Now the shop even offered some pasta or set meal...etc.
1. Club sandwiches set with a minestrone soup and iced "Illy" coffee at HK$56. They still keep a nice quality but the iced coffee is a bit too sweet though I asked them for less sweet. 2. the shop in Quarry Bay Tai Koo Place.

2 comments:

Stella said...

So the Illy coffee is $7 US per cup. More than Starbucks'.
Illy is not popular here in LA. I guess this brand is from Italy(I saw this from Haagen Dazs Ice Cream Shop with TC the other day and I saw this again 2 days ago at "Whole Foods" in Pasadena).

in the sea said...

SS, it's for the whole set... :)