Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Lei Garden, IFC II, Central, HK

Lei Garden used to be one of my regular restaurants I visited. After it opened its branch in IFC, I finally gave it a re-visit. The shop is so busy in asking the customers to set at 2 dining time - one at 6pm and the other at 7:30pm. I somehow get a bit annoyed with this kind of set dining time. What's more, the kitchen wasn't efficient enough in delivering the dishes right after I made a quick order. The funny thing we were still given a bill for a signal to leave at 7:25pm even though the dessert didn't arrive. Though the bill was given with much apology, the gesture wasn't nice. I further commented it's the fault of their kitchen, not on us.

Food wise, it's half and half to me from this visit. The best is their stir fried bean sprouts and dried scallop 桂花瑤柱 (below photo #4). Very nice stir frying technique. Not watery and very aromatic with bean sprout even burnt a bit. This is the hardest part to burn the bean sprouts. The worst is the stir fried veggie - so watery and wasn't stir fried with any chicken stock. Whenever I see this stir fried veggie, I need to thank for my TV tutor Madam Lee Tsang Pang Chin and I learned from her in stir frying veggie without too much water. We need to differentiate stir frying and soaking.

We also ordered a lamb casserole but it's much too salty. When we asked for some fresh lettuce to go with it, the waiter didn't know what that's for. So they really don't know how to eat the best of this Cantonese lamb casserole.

The soup Pig's lung with dried/fresh ba choy金銀菜豬肺 is pretty nice. Of course it's nice as the price is nice too at HK$168 for 2 person portion. When I tried to order the sweet and sour pork, the waiter recommended their signature dish spare ribs baked in heavy sauce. It was pretty disappointing since it didn't have the "baking" aroma and the sauce is too sweet.

As for the dessert, the mango pomelo sweet (it's originated from Lei Garden) is a must and glad that it's still the best. Then I tried the 龍脷葉燉琥珀. A bit too sweet to me but very aromatic with the 龍脷葉.













6 comments:

Thailand Club said...

is this restaurant been rewarded Michelin one star in 2009

Stella said...

The dishes here looked so good.

I remember there is also another "Lee Garden" in Happy Valley but the Chinese writing for the second word "Yuen" is different though.

in the sea said...

TC, I heard so. Nowadays those chain restaurants are not consistent enough. Quite fluctuate.

Stella, I am not sure if it is the same one but this one seems to be from Causeway Bay.

Stella said...

Thank you SEA for the note.

Nikki said...

我查有關「琥珀」的資料,是「松柏樹脂的化石」(侍應的解釋沒錯),紅色的叫琥珀,黃而透明的叫蠟珀,可以入藥,亦可以製飾物。還有一段記載:「松柏脂入地,千年化為茯苓,茯苓化為琥珀。」應該也是同類的藥性。

in the sea said...

Thanks Nikki for the checking. Seems like it's quite valuable.