Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My cooking - 参鬚蜜棗茶 Ginseng's root date drink

In the early stage of my Bangkok trips, Yaowara was a must for every night supper. I went in the Eastern bird's nest shop. Before any order, I was given a bowl of ginseng's root tea (not sure about the exact English term) Felt so good after a day of walking and eating heavily. This is a very good tactic for getting customers relax and of course good for selling their bird's nest dessert. Since then, this ginseng's root drink has been deep in my mind. Every now and then, I would make this drink to refresh myself. I would add some date and rock sugar to make it a bit sweeter. Good for enhancing your respiratory system (提氣). The date is to balance the little hot nature of ginseng. That's one of the few things in Bangkok I got inspired.

5 comments:

Stella said...

Is this the skinny type of American Ginseng?
If yes, I shall get you some of this "root" next time.

in the sea said...

This is not American Ginseng type. It's actually the "air" roots of Ginseng but I think there should be a proper medical term. Ginseng is generally "hot" in character but this root part is milder. So that's why I use date to further balance it and good for sleep... ZZZzzz

Anonymous said...

Oh I see.
Thanks.

SS

Mickey Mouse said...

@Stella: in-the-sea already tell us clearly what "ginseng's root" is through the CN name

Stella said...

Thank you Mickey.