Saturday, November 27, 2010

Red Mullet by Le Normandie, Mandarin Oriental Bangkok

Red mullet is very difficult to do it well without ginger and scallion. If it's the fat body red mullet, then it's even more challenging since it's very smelly. I often cooked the fat body red mullet in pan frying and sealed in ginger scallion soy sauce. Steaming is only for the long tail red mullet 長尾紅衫魚. Long tail red mullet has a very special meat texture and sweetness. Besides, it has less bones than the other red mullet. When I was about to order this red mullet at Le Normandie, I hesitated what kind of red mullet they would choose. Though I am not 100% sure if it's a long tail red mullet or some other species, they got the right one. This one is perfect in a sunny tomato sauce. Another childhood memory delight.

4 comments:

BB said...

i missed missed missed mo everything !!!

in the sea said...

BB, good to hear you are a MO fan. Will post more about MO.

Stella said...

Hi BB, welcome to the MO Club.
Yes I also think of everything in MO, even the toilet.
I also missed the red mullet fish. This was my childhood regular dish at home. We used to pan fry it first then dip in catchup, or add some dark soy sauce after the pan fry.

in the sea said...

Yes, pan fry red mullet in tomato sauce is nice.