Friday, July 04, 2008

China House, Oriental Bangkok




1st photo: interesting I only get interested in having cocktail drinks whenever I am in Oriental.  This time I tried their house special China House Sky (made of Vodka, Blue Curacao, Malibu, Lychee juice, Lemon juice and Grenadine).  It smells so good and tastes so good too!  I don't drink as most of you know.  I broke my law only for Oriental.  See how this hotel's charisma enchants me.

2nd photo: a complimentary appetizer - only 1 word "good"!

3rd: it's inside the China House.  The whole restaurant is in a deep red and black color.  It's said to resemble the 30's Shanghai style restaurant.  Can't comment on it as I don't know which part of Shanghai they resemble.

4th: sesame sauce on veggie - a pleasant surprise!  This dish is a common northern Chinese cuisine.  Normally it's just sesame paste put on the fresh green and that's it.  The chef nicely use the cooked veggie wrapped with crunchy cucumber and celery.  The sesame sauce is with some peanut sauce.  So good!

5th: Stir fry shark's fin (桂花翅).  OK this one is kind of Thai style because they use Thai shark's fin (the mini fan shape one).  The original one is with individual fin (needle one).  First I noticed is that the egg was fried a bit too well done, but later on I couldn't blame them as this critical time of bird flu.  Like in many HK restaurant, they cooked the food to well done.  So if the egg is not too well done, that wouldn't be some juice left on the plate.  Still it's a nice one.   Worth a try.

4 comments:

Stella said...

It seems that China House is for those high class "Kwai Low" or yuppie.

in the sea said...

Yes, I can say so, but not for "yuppie", as the yuppie want something more hip.

Anonymous said...

'Kwai-low' is now a discriminating word in HK, people get sue by referring a westerner as 'kwai-low'.

As does 'ah-cha' or 'mor-lou-cha' ... etc.

/William

in the sea said...

I agreed to some extent we shouldn't discriminate certain group of people by labeling them. However, "Ah Cha" or "Mor Lou Cha" is referred to certain Indian races in India. It's not a discriminating word according to my friends in Malaysia. When they came to know it, they said it just shows the ignorance of certain people. Ok, example for some literal terms:

飛仔: 不務正業的青年
舞女: 靠伴舞維生的女性

:)