Sunday, July 20, 2008

my shrimp paste spare ribs and baby clams with chives

The show must go on.  I still keep on enjoying making dinner for my family.  Besides, the standard steamed fish, shell fish and seafood...etc., I made the spare ribs with shrimp paste (actually it's a shrimp paste cube 蝦榚 - I prefer using this one to the shrimp sauce because this one has the 'burnt" flavour and less salty).  For this portion around 12-14 oz of cut spare ribs, I used 1.5 soup spoon of shrimp paste, 0.75 tea spoon of sugar, 1 tea spoon of corn starch, some white pepper powder/sesame oil, 2-3 gloves of chopped garlic (about 1 soup spoon). 1 soup spoon of soy sauce, some oil.  Massage all the ingredients into the ribs.  Steam it for about 12 minutes at medium heat.

Then the one on the left, is tiny baby clam with chopped chives (韮菜花).  The first time I tried such tiny baby clam and actually it's a Chiu Chow food.  I put some wine and white pepper powder to marinate the baby clam a bit.  Then put 2-3 soup spoon of oil in the wok and heat it.  Put the baby clams into the wok.  Stir fry it at high heat for about 1.5 minute.  Then put the chopped chives into it.  No need to put any salt.  Instead put some sugar (1 table spoon).  If you can take hot, put some finely chopped chilli (maybe 0.25 to 0.5 table spoon).  Stir fry it for another 1.5 minutes at high heat.  Put some sesame oil and then done!  I didn't expect this baby clam is that salty.  So next time I will add more chopped chives and even chopped dried bean curd.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend told me to cook your "Lup Lup" recipe with shrimp skin and I tried it. It tasted good.
From,
C-9 in LA

in the sea said...

about this baby clam dish, again I prefer to do all the preparations by myself. As you could see, some of the pickled vegetable was not chopped finely. When I noticed, I didn't have time to re-chop it, because the wok can't wait.

Thanks for your comments. The shrimp skin still has some other dishes to go with, like with pan fried bean curd and minced pork. I will get you another recipe or cook that one as a sample later on.