Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mango in 3, Hui Lau Shan, 許留山, Hong Kong

Why Hui Lau Shan has been that successful in Hong Kong is that they keep on innovating their famous mango dessert. So like this one, for just HK$30, you can have 3 different small dishes of mango sweet. The top right is the mango in chewy sticky rice dumpling with mango slices. Left one is the mini dumplings in mango juice with mango chunks. Then the front one is mango sorbet with mango cubes. Besides, I think for mango taste, mango from Philippines is the best among all the Asian countries. Hui Lau Shan uses such mango.

4 comments:

Stella said...

This looks good in the picture. I was told that Hui Lau Shan is very popular in HK. There is a branch in LA(San Gabriel) but the business is not good. One "Kwai Ling Go" costs $5.99 and one mango pudding costs $5.99 but tastes like powder. And it is too sweet but no flavor.

in the sea said...

Some of the Chinese food can't be done better outside its origin, due to the freshness of the food and availability of the ingredients. Just like Won Tun, if they can't get the "big ground" fish, it's another story. So for the mango pudding, if they can't have good mango and they can't have the proper pudding powder...etc., then forget it.

Stella said...

I like all the desserts in BKK, especially the mango sticky rice that Mike bought me from Thong Lo.
Also all mango related desserts. Even the Kwai Ling Go at Crystal Jade was so good.
Oh, I also like the soy bean milk at HK Airpot(from Wong Fu, where I ate my roasted goose and won ton noodle). The soy bean milk has some burnt taste(on purpose) but it was so good. I had it both ways from HK to BKK and on the return too.

Anonymous said...

Eating in the HK airport - so expensive! I don't look at those shops.