Friday, July 18, 2008

Fung Shing Restaurant (鳳城酒家), Hong Kong






Almost 2 weeks ago, I visited this restaurant and ordered the sweet and sour pork.  I can give it 80 marks.  I like the way they deep fried the pork and the pork is not that fat.  The coating is nice and the oil temperature for finalising the deep frying was perfectly controlled so that it's not oily at all. However, the sauce is a bit too sweet but it may be my problem as I don't eat too much sweet.

2nd one is the famous "Tai Leung shrimp omelette 大良蝦餅" (a cuisine from Shun Tak 順德 and Poon Yu 潘禹 in Guang Zhou province, where we call those areas as "fish and rice" town 魚米之鄉, as these places are surrounded by nice rice field and streams and rivers - a place with good natural resources).  They used some very nice prawns and the pan-frying is nice too.  The Chef is quite good at controlling the temperature.  While the omelette is nicely burnt but not too dry inside.

3rd: ok, this is the signature dish or Fung Shing - deep fried chicken.  I can tell they did "wind dry" the chicken for quite some time before deep frying, as the skin was very thin and crispy.  Again, the meat is not dried out because of deep frying.  Though it's HK$120 for half, it is worth it.  Normally half deep fried chicken in a nice restaurant is at around HK$60-70.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost forget this restaurant. I like the fried chicken a lot but that was a long time ago. Someone told me there are some fake Fung Shing restaurants. Which one is this one?

Man

in the sea said...

I was told quite many stories. Some say the one on Leighton Rd. is the original one. Some say it's the one in North Point. Anyway, the best fried chicken I tried among all these branches is the one in Mongkok/Prince Edward. However, this one was taken in Causeway Bay (Pearl Mansion).

Thailand Club said...

is the original one on Leighton Road still there? i think no more right!

in the sea said...

No more... How can a traditional shop survive for the high rent?