Thursday, July 03, 2008

Jok, home dining, Bangkok




The first photo is our table setting - very Chinese of 30-40 years ago, reminding me of my mother bringing me to my uncle's wedding dinner.  Note the Italian mineral water was brought by my friend, so thoughtful of him.  

2nd photo - ok, this won ton dumpling is quite nice.  Quite surprised that they found some very thin won ton wrap.  The filling is also nice and it's already a bit above the HK standard.  They put some Taiwanese style fried garlic and red onion.  For me, I just put those away.  I would use the freshly fried one instead of the already made.

3rd photo - I like the lime in Thailand and Vietnam so much!  Then the 4th one is the smoked duck and pork.  The taste is quite average - a bit dry to me as the meet was first braised in Chinese "Lo Sui (滷水) - soy sauce with some Chinese herb" and then smoked again.  Actually most of the people often (or maybe the Chiu Chow style to) make the food in the Lo Sui be boiled for quite a long tme and think the taste should go in much.  I also made this mistake, until one time I ate a very special Lo Sui food - the outside is chewy and inside is not dry.  I realised they dip the food in a cold Lo Sui for soaking it instead of boiling it. 

The 4th photo is the steamed crab.  The crab is pretty fresh and I can take it without any allergy.  I like crab but somehow I get allergy with the crab's shell, same for lobster.  I can eat the meat only without touching it.  So most of my friends think I don't like crab or lobster and normally I don't describe that much to me, but just told them I don't fall into them.  However, the crab is a bit overpriced - B2,400 for this dish.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

look like some place in yuen long. think it is far away from the city. Pay B2400 for crab is expensive.

in the sea said...

It's not that far. It's just in China Town, but hard to find it actually.

Stella said...

Is this one as good as Sea's Kitchen? I am serious. Can you do the grading. I cannot beleive it takes 3 months to book this place, also B2400 for home cooking, are you kidding?

in the sea said...

There are even some restaurants which require bookings for 6 months or 1 year.

Yai said...

Like La Tour d'Argent in Paris booking Q is 2 years.