Friday, October 31, 2008

Cantonese style steamed meat patty 肉餅

A few nights ago, I watched the Suzie Wong's TV cooking special. She talked about steamed meat cake patty and invited 2 house wives to cook the same dish. The 2 ladies made a meat patty like the above (which I took last night at a local restaurant). Suzie strongly accused this is a wrong one, and showed her meat patty. So she first denied using the already machine-ground pork because it's not sticky enough. At this point, I really need to tell her it depends on the way of how you stir-and-massage the ground pork. It's all about the fiction of the ground pork. If you don't stir-and massage the ground pork, of course you would lose the sticky and chewy texture. So I really don't agree to some of her cooking theory and squared technique. Then she put a lot of water into the meat patty and claimed to make the patty lighter. So after done, she put that into a big bowl and made the patty so thick in the bowl. Then she steamed the meat ball (actually should call it a meat ball) for 25 minutes. At this point, I know she was to make the Taiwanese style meat patty. Well, steaming for such a long time, the meat will squeeze back the water she once put. Then you will see a bowl of juice and a shrunk meat ball in the bowl. I can't say it's not good but she can't claim the 2 ladies' meat patty is not qualified. That is the basic Cantonese style meat patty (as on the above photo). I am not against Suzie Wong but just hope that the others should know about this Cantonese style meat patty. Think I also need to make one some time this weekend. :)

6 comments:

Stella said...

I also put one egg into the meat when I stir it so the texture is thicker and the taste is good.
I also put some water chestnut so the patty is kind of crunchy(Chris likes it). But I did not add any water(as water chestnut has some moisture already).
Yes you are right Sea, there are different ways to do the same dish so Susie Wong cannot say the other 2 C9 are wrong.

Anonymous said...

Maybe someone complained her. Now in the last 2 show she became not that strong. She even said the other 2 house wives made the tofu & fish better than her. I think many house wives think she was to downgrade the house wives on the show of this meat patty.

in the sea said...

If the patty is with the salty duck egg. I would use around 1/2 lb ground pork, 2 salty eggs and 1 egg. First stir and massage the ground pork, put one salty egg white into it and stir again. Then put some white pepper powder, sugar, sesame oil. Then put one egg and some oil and stir again. So I will check the texture. If it's a bit too thick, I will put some water in it. So cut the 2 salty egg york in small pieces and put it in and stir it. I will put some chopped scallion in it. Then flat the meat ball to patty on the plate. Steam at medium heat for about 10-12 minutes.

Stella said...

Anonymous 7:10pm,
I think you are right about the complaint. I just watch Susie Wong 2 times and from the way she talks I can feel she is quite offensive and "inch".
My high school mates(some directors and actor's agent in entertainment industry) have mentioned "Yu Jung" is "inch", but at least I cannot tell from the way she talks.

in the sea said...

Mmmh, I don't mind she is being inch, because that's her character, but she may consider not to be so one-sided.

Anonymous said...

Well said. I also think sometimes her comment is too one-sided.