Friday, October 31, 2008

Bali - a heaven we spoiled


Supposed I will hold a conference in this beautiful island - Bali next week. However, with the corporate instruction due to the various travel alert warnings issued by various Government today, I need to cancel the conference in the last minute. What a chaotic day to me today!

Bali was the place I took my first flight to in 1989. I was so into the mood of Bali. When I got back to Hong Kong, I didn't recognise the street I lived and the Hong Kong coins. Yes, I was like drowning myself into Bali and couldn't retrieve my soul back. Sounds kind of scary. So when I watched "Somewhere in Time", I realised that "hypnotize" does really work.

Back to Bali, what is still in my mind is the colorful sunset I have ever seen. In 1997 summer, I made my second trip back to Bali. However, when I noticed the Hard Rock Cafe and McDonald's, I knew it's already a spoiled place. So many foreign people built their houses in Bali. I missed the Bali of 1989.... I do hope I can make my "somewhere in time" again.

5 comments:

Stella said...

Why you liked Bali so much Sea? Food, scenic view, or others?
I used to work at Indonesian run bank(Lippo) and I have many good Indonesian friends.
I like Indonesian food too but they cannot compare with HK or BKK still, far behind. All dishes are kind of either sweet or spicy. However, I like the Ga-Doo-Ga-Doo(salad) and the Jian-Doo(dessert).

in the sea said...

Simply the atmosphere. I still remember when I passed by a record shop, they played Tracy Chapman "Fast Car" album. My friend and I were just hanging around outside the record shop for the whole album to finish. We dropped in a local coffee place and took the local Balinese iced coffee. I still recall that marvelous smell of their local coffee bean. Seems like the best coffee bean often lies within the 10 degree area of the Equator. However, 20 years has almost past. Bali to some extent has lost its primitive color. That's ok for now because the colorful sunset is so deep in my mind - never fading away.

Stella said...

I like the Kona coffee bean grown by Big Island's volcano soil; it smells good. I only found that at Big Island and Oahu but not in LA.
The next one I like is the instant espresso and cappuccino from France-sent by my friend who is now a chef in France.

in the sea said...

I saw Kona coffee in Citi Super (an up-market grocery in HK). French coffee of course is good! I have it every morning on my French leave in January. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't go to Bali. Go to bangkok la. ticket and hotel cheaper and eating better.