Monday, October 27, 2008

Metropolitan Hotel, Bangkok

Finally after 4 years something, I could try this "then hip" hotel. Think I am a bit too late to try it. 12 years ago when I first stayed at Gallery Hotel Singapore, I was amazed and often looked for hip or boutique hotels. Later on, those deep brown wooden furniture plus white decoration has already been all around. What's more - water and the "chi" feeling. The good things of this hotel is that the staff is quite friendly and helpful. The room air-ventilating system is good. The Bose sound system is good; so remember to bring some CD or ask from the front desk. To me, the room ceiling is a bit low. The sound proof wasn't done well. I think it's probably from the old-YMCA structure. The window is a bit too short but you may take it as a super panorama view. Need to remark is the internet connection. When I noticed the hotel takes MagicNet system, then I hesitated for a while if I should get it. My past experiences at Shangrila, Westin, KL, Sheraton BKK and those 4/5 star hotels using MagicNet do have a connection problem. It's really slow. I was told it's because I use Mac. That may be the cause but then why this Metropolitan put the G3 iBook and G3 iMac in the lobby for guests to log on. So it may not work with G5 duo-intel mac computers? That stupid MagicNet can't switch the Wi-Fi to cable connection. So before connecting your notebook, you need to determine which way you wanna go. At that time, I think of Centre Point and Adelphi. They don't charge and their internet (wifi/cable) are normal fast. Now I pay for a "chill out" connection. I don't blame it on Metropolitan but then told them it's the problem of MagicNet as I experienced that at other hotels. The other problem may be the router of the room I stayed.


1. The bath room 2. the bed room

3. the welcome tea and sweet 4. the living room

5. direction to gym/pool 6. Glow - organic restaurant

7. the gym - a bit not well equipped 8. view to the pool

9. reception at the spa/gym 10. something at leisure

11/12. Glow

13/14. Breakfast - the breakfast reminds me of the cafe of Hotel Maya Kuala Lumpur - once having the hot meal on a-la-carte and the cold cut/fruit/pastry on the side bar. However, Hotel Maya stopped that last year.

15. the coffee is good but the pastry is so so. 16. excellent yoghurt and the cookies are average.
17/18. Cyan - the cafe: it somehow reminded me of Gallery Hotel Singapore, probably the blue and the plastic chairs.
19. Cyan Cafe 20. You can take your breakfast by the pool - so this part is like Hotel Maya - eating with water around you.
21. The swimming pool 22. the sign for Metropolitan Hotel
23/24. the swimming pool
25/26. the lobby area
27. the room sign 28. Jimmy and Donald watching the pool - want a high dive?

29. the entrance 30. another view to the pool
31. the projector's clock

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stayed there once and I don't like it. Because it is quite noise. Those cars running outside. They need to do something.

Anonymous said...

I did went to their room. Yes, the ceiling is a bit low. My friends told me going to the swimming pool is quite long way. Looking at the photo it seems quite ok because it's next to the cafe.

Man

in the sea said...

I think the problem is that when they took over YMCA and renovated it, they should think about the layout of the whole building. By the way, I feel very itchy from nose, ear, head to toe, when in bed. I am not sure what irritated me - probably the linen. The first time ever I felt that as compared to all the hotels I have been to. Very strange.

Anonymous said...

the room looks quite boring. Even 4 years ago, this kind of color tune was outdated.