Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Le Normandie, the Oriental Bangkok

All right I think I may have been complained for posting too much on Le Normandie. Sorry I just can't help it. The above is a view to Peninsula Hotel through a glass of water with some flowers' stems in it.

2. I ordered a Chao Phyra Dream to go with the above photo 1 for my dreamy mood on Chao Phyra River. 3. A complimentary appetizer - crab meat in veggie dumpling. Perfect!
4. Lobster Bisque 5. The soup reminds me of the time I tried my first Lobster Bisque at Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong. Then I was addicted to it until MO HK renovated their coffee shop. This one is simply the best I have ever had, even compared to those I have tried in my past various trips to France! I don't mind if someone claims on my "foreign taste" on French food if they think so.

6. Yellow Tail Fish from Australia in basil lime vinegar sauce. All I can say it's magical! I like basil, lime and vinegar. The arugoda lettuce smells so good. On the right is the diced tomato marinated with some basil vinegar. 7. Salmon and Halibut in white wine sauce: it's quite difficult to do well for fish in western cuisine. Personally I don't like salmon cooked. I can't comment it as I haven't tried it. I would rather leave Thailand Club comment.

8. Ox Tail in black olive champagne sauce - when it was served, immediately the aroma filled up the room. It's super tender but yet a bit chewy. Very nice! The sauce is awesome! 9. roast chicken breast in pepper corn sauce. I ordered it on purpose simply because cooking chicken breast is not easy at all. Le Normandie hasn't disappointed me at all. I cleaned up the plate. Think the plate cleaning person must be happy to see our plates cleaned up in such a way.

10. Dessert Trolley. We didn't try the cakes on the trolley though but it's nice to have a look. 11. Raspberry Jelly with Rose Macaroon. Again - I cleaned up the plate, not even leaving the rose petal. It reminded me of the movie "Like Water for Chocolate". The girl made a pigeon in rose sauce - so authentic!

12. Maria got so surprised with this Chocolate cake by Le Normandie. 13. a Chocolate ring


14. a complimentary mini-dessert. I think this is the thing I don't take at Le Nomandie. It's much too sweet. 15. the Birthday cake got some decoration in different pattern. Nice art work.

16. think this is the best work. 17. Happy Birthday to Maria.
Not sure if Le Normandie knows Maria's surname Fa means "flower". They just got another flower to Maria. So thoughtful! What more can I say? 1 million marks! Immaculate service and food quality! Au Len Done (Oriental in Thai English) - you are the best!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha you and Thailand Club look like the ambassador for Oriental Bangkok. If I don't know you, I would think you are from their marketing team.

You both mentioned a lot on Normandie. What about their Thai restaurant? Is it good? I wanna try more Thai or Thai Chinese food on my coming trip. I may want to go to that Ngor Jer 娥姐 private kitchen again on that BMW bldg (11/F?) next to Suhkothai Hotel as you recommended to me a few years ago. That grilled fish, shrimp and stir fried morning glory are very nice.

Man

Anonymous said...

Yes, everything in Le Normandie is good and morth more than what we pay for. The food, the presentation of the food, the attentive and discerning service, the thoughfulness, the atmosphere, etc. This comment is not only from me, but also from my Thai customers(owners of 10 restuarants in LA), who sais this is the best French restaurant in Asia. Yes, they mentioned "best in Asia" including those high end French restaurants in HK. They said of course HK has lots of high class French Restaurants that have the same good quality food and service as Le Normandie, but they said for those that can line up with Le Normandie, it costs 2 or 3 times more. So if money is put into the factor, Le Nornamdie is still the BEST. It really worth more than what we pay for.
From,
Stella

Anonymous said...

Au Len Done - very funny. OK to show it again because the food is not the same, not same same.

Tim

in the sea said...

Yes, Oriental does have a Thai restaurant called Sala Rim Namn on the other side of the river. Talked many times to try it but just don't know why my feet naturally walked up to Normandie.

Mmmh.. Jer Ngor has quite a few branches in town. There is one on soi 20 Sukhumvit, but I still think that one on BMW bldg. as you have been to is very nice. Call me and I will tell you in more details. :)

Anonymous said...

Haha got it. Next time you should take a taxi to the Thai restaurant of Oriental. Then your feet won't walk up to Nomandie.

OK, will call you then.

Man

Thailand Club said...

sorry, even if we were kidnapped to the Sala Nimnam door step, we will still take the Oriental shutter boat back to the main compound, and head for Le Normandie :)

simply, Sala Nimnam kind of Thai food is easy to find elsewhere in Thailand, also when authentic Thai feast concern, i do keen on home-cooking then hotel food

however, when French is in mind, there is no other venue better than Le Normandie unless i fly to paris

for Je Ngor, it is not as good as b4, 8 years ago when my friends brought me there, it was excellent, the black pepper crab, the sliced morning glory, the grilled sea bass in sea salt wrapper... as times goes by, Je Ngor branch out to rapid and the 'watt' drop, quality decline a lot, service also not as good as b4

however, it is still an above average seafood joint in Bangkok esp, for those have a fat wallet, and if u can bear the high db noise from this now popular tourist seafood hub

if u really wanna try, go Suk. 20 branch, as the YWCA (Sathorn) branch had been reported very laid back

in the sea said...

haha.. yes, even when we are kidnapped, we will still try every way to go back to the main compound of Oriental.

Think we really have to find some time to try Sala Rim Namn.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Thailand Club. Is that one in soi 20 Suk (Sukumvit?) close to the main road?

Man