Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Shang Place, Shangrila Hotel, Bangkok


1. the menu/2. walnut in coated syrup


3. when I saw these put on the table, immediately I know it's a Singaporean Chinese restaurant. Yes, the vinegar chilli is the typical Singaporean Chinese setting/4. Chrysanthemum tea - I think this one is of a 5 star hotel standard - very clear and good quality.

5. Again this is somewhat the Singaporean Chinese pickle/6. roasted suckling pig - quite nice though not the best.

7. this mini Chinese pancake is for the sucking pig but just too small to go with the the pig's pieces. Besides, they should have a steamed basket with a cotton cloth covering it in order to lock the moisture. 8. double boiled fish maw and mushroom/veggie - the soup base is good but the worst thing is that they put this kind of Shanghai bok Choy and yet it wasn't double boil with the soup. It was just added in when almost finished. So it totally destroyed the soup.They should use the Big Bok Choy with the white stem and big green leaves. Another worst thing is the mushroom. Actually for this kind of cheap mushroom, they should first rinse it twice to get rid of the mushroom "wood" smell. Then use some sugar, little cornstarch and a bit of yellow wine to marinate it and then steam it for 10 minutes before putting it in the soup for double boiling. The texture is awlful for this one. However, they use a very good quality fish maw. Oh, at least it's much better than Lai Po Heen of Oriental Kuala Lumpur - yes, that one really sucked. They put low class cheap fish maw but then even denied it in front of me. When we pay for a 5 star hotel meal, we need to be very discerning and demanding.

9. double boiled harsma (not sure about the spelling) - better than the double boiled fish maw. 10. sucking pig's 4 limbs - wow kind of bloody.

11. suckling pig in chunks 12. abalone with duck feet - the chef shouldn't cook the canned abalone for such a long time that it is a bit hard chewy. The for duck feet - he used quite much of star anise and made it too overwhelming.

13. stir fried mixed veggie - so so and I don't know why it's a signature of Shang Place. 14. crab meat omelette - too oily.... and yet it should have been made a bit thicker. It doesn't have the texture. If it's to be made that thin, at least to make it more crispy like those Foreign Chinese food.

15. Chicken in black bean/red onion - supposed this is the basic dish of Catonese cuisine. I don't know why the chef sliced the Chicken meat in that thin cut. If so, he shouldn't fry it in hot oil for such a long time to lose the juice of the Chicken meat. I felt like eating a semi-fried thin Chicken slices. The chef should make it as a 1 or 1.5" chicken chunks. Chicken chunks can store the juice of the meat. 16. On the top it's Lo Hon Veggie, then guess what is beneath?


17. Noodle braised with abalone sauce - quite ok but the noodle should have been better. 18. Durian pudding - no comments as I didn't try it.

19. Almond sweet with sticky rice dumpling - if it's made by some local restaurant, I wouldn't blame it. However, it's a 5 star hotel restaurant, then I would feel very disappointed that they use Almond powder rather than making the real one. 20. Mango Pomelo sweet: pretty ok

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really a feast. They look so delicious.
I had none of these before.
From,
Stella

Anonymous said...

But from what is described, it seems not so good.

Man

in the sea said...

In general, I was quite disappointed and it's my second time of disappointment.

Thailand Club said...

well in order to cut cost, Bkk hotels (5-star also) now hire non-native-HK chefs for their Cantonese kitchens, so it is difficult for Bangkok to hv a decent Cantonese feast now, even if we r willing to pay, unless it is China House (oooops, the Oriental again!)

but for average palate like me, hopefully i still get a nice meal in most 5-star hotels Chinese outlets

:)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. We understand you both are a big fan of Oriental. Good that In the Sea pointed out some details of what's not good of those dishes at Shang Place. Otherwise, people would think you are the spy from Oriental and say bad words on Shangrila on purpose.

I noticed that fish maw soup. It shouldn't be like that though I didn't taste it.

Man

Anonymous said...

This Chinese food may not be good enough for HK people; but this is good enough for LA people.
From,
Stella

Anonymous said...

I think we miss the question asked on the Lo Hon Vegetable. What's beneath? So my guess is duck. because they have pig, chicken, seafood.

Tim

in the sea said...

Tim, pretty smart. I even forgot that question. Ok, I will wait for a few more days to disclose the answer.

For the cooking of the chef of Shang Palace, I think it's not just about where the Cantonese cooking it should be. It simply should have been a 5 star hotel standard. Even if it's a Crystal Jade in BKK, I wouldn't blame it. However, it's Shang Palace. I would have a higher expectation. If the Chef is not an expertise at those Cantonese home style cooking (like the black bean/red onion chicken), then don't put that on the menu. I don't even mind they put some Singaporean Chinese food like black pepper crab or those heavy gravy stuff, or even Hainanese Chicken. If they put those typical Cantonese food, they need to care about what they are. Just like I complained Lai Po Heen of Oriental Kuala Lumpur. They made sweet and sour pork as pork in tomato sauce. Then a low class fish maw to cheat customers! Even it's Oriental, I wouldn't let go of it, as it hurt my feeling for Oriental. How can I let those ignorant people to destroy the image of Oriental and Shangrila. So please excuse me for my frank word. Even for my dishes, if I make something bad, I will immediately tell my sisters or friends first about what I did wrong.

The problem is it is not a single dish. So we shouldn't put that we are from LA, HK, Taipei..etc. If we don't be demanding, they wouldn't be improving. If we want them to be good, we need to speak up. Just like we teach our kids.

Anonymous said...

I think even for Crystal Jade, they shouldn't make food like that. Crystal Jade's price is not cheap.

OK, for the Lo Hon Vegetable dish, my guess is duck too because it has such dish. Also, you ordered muschroom noodle and you won't have another Lo Hon noodle. To go with Lo Hon Vegetable, it should be duck.

Man

in the sea said...

Tks Tim and Man for the guessing. Will disclose it on Sunday (HK time) :)

in the sea said...

Ok, the answer is "duck" and comments on this kind of stewed duck is on the new post today "Chui King Lau".