Friday, December 12, 2008

Grand Cafe, Grand Hyatt Hong Kong

When Grand Hyatt Hong Kong was first opened in the 80's, I was asked by my various friends to go try their Chinese (forgot the name), Grassini (Italy), the Cafe, JJ (discotheque). Almost none of them impressed me. Every now and then, some of my business associates still ask for a meal or coffee/tea in this hotel. So for the past 3 decades, their food quality remain the same.

1. I ordered a Caesar salad with grilled chicken breast. As you can see from the few pieces of the Romaine lettuce, at first I was quite happy those were almost without any dressing. Though it's not of any standard, I felt it's a bit healthy without any dressing. When I went to the bottom part. Wow, the heavy dressing was on the few pieces at the bottom. Apparently the Romaine lettuce wasn't tossed well! So again it's not about foreign taste or not. It's all about cooking technique, or unless someone told me the original Caesar salad shouldn't be tossed well. Then for the grilled chicken breast, they even used those gas flame to grill it!!! The dish was charged for $185 and they used gas flame! If I wasn't with a gentleman from England, I would immediately asked the Captain for a detailed complaint. What's more, the chicken breast was over-cooked (almost double over-cooked), the meat was dry like cartoon paper. The bread crouton was not crispy enough, like it's been put in the fridge for weeks! Fortunately, they could still use some very fine Anchovy which made me go with the bread. About the bread, they should have done that better. Again, it's like it's been put somewhere else for a few days. However, as I was quite hungry in this winter time, I couldn't leave the lunch without any carbohydrate. The good thing was that I could have the glass bottled Evian, though they charge $70 for a bottle. 2. No comment - as I didn't try it. It's a club sandwich.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what? hk$185 for such lousy salad? i thought f&b in Bangkok's Grand Hyatt is sucks, now i know it is standard of all Grand Hyatt to offer lousy food; oooops its guest rooms r not any better

/TC

Stella said...

Lousy gas flame chicken for over $20 US is very over priced.
I think the Grand Hyatt high tea we went with Maria in BKK was quite good though.

in the sea said...

Actually the F&B of Hyatt Regency Kowloon is much much better than Grand Hyatt HK. I missed the cafe and the Chinese restaurant of Hyatt Regency. They made some very nice cheese cake and the Chinese restaurant's dim sum and quick stir fried dishes are fabulous! Of course, later on, when I found out Mr. Chow Chung was the chef for the Chinese restaurant, I was thrilled as I like Chef Chow Chung a lot from his TV show.

Stella, the high tea we went with Maria is Tea Room by Grand Hyatt, not exactly inside the hotel, but I think Tea Room is better than the main outlets of Grand Hyatt Erawan.

Stella said...

Thank you Sea for your explanation. I do like our high tea at the Tea Room from Grant Hyatt.

Anonymous said...

Wow $185 for a salad. Made with gold? Maybe the name of Grand Hyatt made it $100 more. So expensive. If it's not good taste, it's super expensive.

in the sea said...

Regardless of the hotel name, if they made it nice, $185 is worth it. However, it's just way too below my expectation. That's why I highly recommend Normandie of Oriental Bangkok. The Chef did a great job in grilled chicken. Check my previous post for that.

Anonymous said...

Chow Chung Chow Chung I love you. Master Chow Chung dishes had involved lots of nice memory for me and friends at the Chinese in the 80's.

in the sea said...

Haha... thanks. That sounds like a song for Chow Chung. Chow Chung impressed me the most is his stir fried sticky rice. I have never thought about soaking the stick rice in boiling water for about 1 minute and drain it for an immediate stir frying. This way the warm moist among the sticky rice will be cooked well. Actually there have been quite a few times I discussed with friends that cooking is not just cooking at all. It comprises certain philosophy and chemistry/physic/biologic concepts. Like I watched Suzie Wong's how to cook "spring" egg. She did miss the concept of chemistry/physic. That's why she failed so many times in front of the TV, but on the other side I do like her for not looking silly for such failure. At least she admits failure and that's the most important thing and that's why I kept watching her TV programs though there are yet some cooking techniques I don't agree to.