Wednesday, December 10, 2008

UCC Cafe, Causeway Bay Plaza Phase II, Hong Kong

UCC Cafe has meant so much to me. Their shop in UNY had made some very nice spaghetti for the past 20 years and even last year when I tried that, the quality was still there. So this evening I visited the branch at Causeway Bay Plaza Phase II. Their standard is still there but still the branch in Apita (UNY) is a bit better.
1. add HK$28 to make any rice/spaghetti/steak order for a meal menu, including a salad bar, soup, and a drink. The good thing of UCC is that they don't mind getting you a bigger bowl for the salad bar. The Japanese style potato salad is awesome! The soup of the day is Pumpkin - pretty nice but personally I don't like pumpkin much. Note UCC has some very nice orange juice as recommended by the shop. I can tell you it's not like Mr. Juicy though it's not freshly squeezed. It just has the fine taste of orange. 2. Ice coffee - Japanese coffee is what I prefer though it's a bit too strong. The cream makes the coffee very smooth and rich.

3. Curry Seafood Rice - UCC doesn't make the food too salty which is something I really appreciate; so I can taste the real taste of Japanese curry. Though it's said to be not curry at all, I still think it's the best adaptation of curry. 4. Curry Fried Chicken rice: nicely fried chicken. In many ways, Japanese know the key point to controlling the oil temperature for deep frying.

8 comments:

Stella said...

I heard about this UCC Cafe for so long. I think they have opened a branch here in Rowland Heights area.
The food and coffe here look like "Curry House" in our J Town. "Curry House" is my favorite as I like curry but I cannot take the real curry that has white pepper in it.
The Japanese curry is very mild so I can take it. Also, it is not as greasy as the Chinese or Southeast Asia curry.

in the sea said...

I think I prefer Japanese curry to the others. Personally, I think too much hot and spicy just take away the original taste of the food.

Anonymous said...

J-curry actually has many level of heat.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I prefer Japanese curry as it is mild and will not take away the original flavor of the food.
I don't like Indian curry as the spice is too strong and it makes me feel they use the strong spice to cover the unfresh meat.
From,
Party Animal

in the sea said...

Correct, Japanese curry can be from mild hot to super hot. However, I think for the super hot is like mild hot for other Asian curries standard.

Stella, I agreed with you, those hot/spicy/sour taste can cover the unfresh food. One of my aunts goes to the market for a live chicken getting killed. Right after she came back home and steamed it without anything (not even with ginger/scallion/salt...etc.). Then she didn't dip it with soy sauce. She told me that's the best thing she can ever have in life and she keeps having this immediate steamed chicken once a week.

Journey Insights... said...

I love pumpkin soup but not too many places can do it well. I like it when it is served hot and creamy with bits of pumpkin to savour in your mouth. Mmmmh! But often they make it too sweet which makes it taste more like a dessert rather than a soup. They also don't serve them hot enough.

I also love Malaysian curry but for me Thai green curry is by far one of the best curries around. But I do really sweat a lot whenever I eat anything with spice even though it is mild. So I take precautions when wanting to enjoy curry as I do really get very messy! :-P Japanese curry gives me the pleasure of enjoying my meal without having to sweat so much even at winter time.

Stella said...

Yes SEA and Journey Insights, Japanese curry lets us have a feel of the curry taste while not spoiling the original flavor of food.
I was told recently by many health articles that Pumpkin is very good for the health. It is good for diabetes as it can reduce blood sugar(funny right as the pumpkin tastes sweet). I make pumpkin soup with tomotoe every week and it taste really good. And the pumpkin tastes like yam.

in the sea said...

Journey Insights, sometimes when you like hot food, you would feel extra excited with sweating when eating. I used to be able to take medium hot food, but don't know why lately I can't take it anymore. I used to take the Taiwan's hot/spicy pot quite often, and it could make you sweat from head to toe. Thai green curry is also nice especially they put those baby egg plant.

Pumpkin soup is quite difficult to do it well as it's already sweet in taste and it's hard to control the sweet taste against the other ingredients. Don't know why my grandma told me pumpkin is a "wet hot" (hard to dissolve inside our body and will generate something unwanted accumulated in our body - it's called "wet hot"). There are few things she didn't recommend - pumpkin, egg plant, taro, bamboo shoot, fresh mushroom...etc.