Saturday, December 27, 2008

Khao Mun Kai (Chicken rice), China Town, Bangkok

At the end of Yaowarat Road (耀華力路), close to the well established Chinese restaurant Wo Sheng Fung, and opposite to the 3 dried pork shops, there is a street stall selling Khao Mun Kai (Chicken rice). When I first there in 1997, I immediately noticed the best way of cooking technique - charcoal boiling! Last night, I brought my sisters there and still found this amazing street stall using the same old way. However, the madam who used to work in the stall is no longer there. I really miss the cool smile of her when my friends and I kept ordering 1 more and 1 more chicken rice. Then there is her son carrying on her mother's job. Seems like something had been bothering this man when he was working in the stall. There might be another story behind which I am definitely unable to find it out. No matter what it is, my salute to this lady! She brought back our childhood of the best way of cooking! Her chicken rice just sold at B30 (was B20) - HK$7.
1. The stall - nice chicken! 2. Charcoal boiled soup - the lady put the chicken skeleton into it and made the soup so nice!

3. See how busy it is. 4. this guy sold sugar roast chestnut as long as the chicken rice stall is next to him.

2 comments:

Stella said...

It seems all these 3 new places are good for me to go next time.

in the sea said...

I don't recommend you to try the Chicken rice in Yaowara simply because the Madam's kids didn't inherit what their mother taught them. They just made Chicken Rice, not cook. I would somehow recommend you to try chicken rice on soi 8 Sukhumvit opposite to Adelphi Suites. Maria and I already gave that stall our 4 star rating. 1 star left is the flaw on the rice. :) Health-wise, it's a 5 star as the rice is not oily but the essence of chicken rice is half and half. Actually it's not difficult to make it. You can do it at home. First pan fry the unwashed rice (make sure the rice is a pre-washed) to a bit brown on the outside. Then pour it into the rice cooker, put some gloves of garlic to your preference, and if you like, some ginger slices. Stir fry the garlic and ginger with some oil (maybe 1-2 table spoons). Then put the fried garlic/ginger with oil. Pour in chicken stock instead of water. Turn on the rice cooker and let it cook until done. :)