Sunday, December 21, 2008

Time for the veggie

Autumn is the season for many different types of vegetable. Choy Sum is one of them. I passed by the market yesterday and noticed this baby Choy Sum (about 1/3rd size of the normal one). So I bought 2 catties (HK$6@catty, 1 kilo is about 1.6 catty). So I stir fried it with some ginger slices and this time no need for the garlic as the baby Choy Sum is very sweet and I want the original taste. So the 2nd photo is a so-called "Lone Kuang" Chicken but I doubt about it. Anyway, I used my aunt's old recipe. First dry the chicken inside out. Get some salt (1.5 table spoon) to rub the chicken inside first and then outside. I used the salt brought by my Paris friend. Then get some Chinese wine (Yuk Bing Siu) to marinate the chicken for a few minutes. Then put some ginger slices, scallion, 1 small star anise inside the tummy of the chicken. Then steam it for about 20-22 minutes at medium high heat. After it's done, take it out but don't throw the juice from the dish. As the chicken is still hot, roll over the chicken on the juice. Or use a spoon to pour the juice on the chicken skin and inside the tummy. So this way the chicken will absorb the juice back. However, this rolling is quite time consuming as you need to roll it until the chicken gets cool. So you may consider to watch TV or a movie while rolling it.

2 comments:

Thailand Club said...

this is situation for Stella to roll this chicken while she is watching TVB :) hahaha

in the sea said...

Hurray - yes, what a good suggestion and productive way!