Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Miso Coolll, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong

Since Island East (the tallest commercial bldg in Quarry Bay) was completed, the surrounding area is now changing its face. Those local style tea restaurants were gone and replaced by this type of trendy restaurant. The place resembles quite many up-trend restaurants in London, Paris, Bangkok and Taipei. So in taking the convenience of just walking across the road from my apt., I had a try but it turned out an interesting experience. My friend and I got at the entrance at 5:55pm, then got told "please wait since our restaurant is due to open at 6pm". Someone behind me asked "can you let us in and have a seat?". So we were arranged for a seat, and about to ask for the menu, and then got told "our kitchen is to operate at 6pm. Please wait" (it was like 5:58pm). Then in just another 2 minutes the waiter showed up "ok, so we are now ready to take your order.". Promptly I asked a question "is this restaurant under some kind of Singapore chain or management?". To my experience, I did have been treated like that quite several times in Singapore. Anyway, I can't comment either.

1. Beef roll - so so and the teriyake sauce is a bit too much. 2. crab roe salad - average.
3. seafood noodle: the egg is pretty good but the chef's cutting skill needs to be improved. The soup base is ok but the worst is the noodle's texture. When I tried to pick it up, it was just broken in many small pieces. So I need to use the spoon to eat the noodle. It may be quite thoughtful for those foreigners who can't use chop sticks. 4. Char Siu (pan fried) noodle: they tried to imitate the local Japanese style stir fried food on top of the noodle in soup, but they made the pan fried food a bit too oily and ruining the soup.

5. The shop - don't know why there are many people lining up. Perhaps they prefer eating noodle by using spoon instead of chopsticks, or they care about the easy digestion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You went to a factory that you don't know. I also found out some strict policy from some Singapore shops and restaurants. The city is really man made. See the road from the airport to the city. The flower and tree is very man made.

in the sea said...

In the first few times I went to Singapore, it was such a nice city to me. However, what I saw was just the surface of the city. My friend brought me to the East Coast for seafood. Then we walked a bit to the beach side. I found out bunch of rubbish on the beach. Then the other time my local friend and I passed by some local residential area, I smelt some unpleasant smell. Then I saw a big hill of rubbish outside the waste room. Later on there were more and more things I found out the intrinsic side of the city.

Journey Insights... said...

I have not been to Quarry Bay since August after our office relocated to Lai Chi Kok. I am missing some of the food places where we used to go for lunch there and they are just around your home building.

There is this really local resto where the office people from Taikoo Place and construction workers of the Island East (is that the real name of that gigantic building?) queue up to take their lunch. The food was reasonably priced and for a fast lunch (the waiters/waitress throws your bowls and chopsticks on the table) it is good. That place you just mentioned looks fancy from the outside and must be new.

in the sea said...

Journey Insights, yes, that gigantic building is called Island East. The old tea restaurants (which you mentioned about flying cups and chopsticks) were gone and replaced by KFC, this noodle shop and another "organic type" coffee shop. Then the mini-golf course outside Taikooshing is now a nice resting park with water fountain and trees. Can't take a photo for updates here as that resting park is still with some strange construction things.