Friday, December 05, 2008

My Kai Lan Beef Rice 芥蘭牛肉飯

Think I haven't made this kind of veggie/meat over rice 碟頭飯. Thanks to the show of Suzie Wong which brought back to this old memory of school time. I often made it for my younger sisters before they headed for school and in between of my lunch break at high school. I had 1 hour 15 minutes for my lunch break. It took 8 minutes from my school back home (running). That means I could have 30 minutes for cooking rice and making the main dish and 30 minutes for eating. At that time, I don't care about the details of the taste. It's all about timing. Now for this one, I even cut some scallion to quick stir fry the beef. I even had time to marinate the beef in steps. First evenly slice the beef (For Chinese cooking, slicing and cutting is very important because if you cut it not evenly, some of it will be over-cooked and some others will be under-cooked.). Marinate it with soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, oyster sauce, white pepper powder. Then massage it. So put 1 soup spoon of boiled water, and massage it until the water is fully absorbed. Then put another soup spoon of boiled water, and go on for about 4-5 times, or until you feel the beef is soft and wet enough. Then put corn starch and stir it. This time no need to massage it because what you need is the coating to seal the juice of the beef. Then put some oil and stir it to separate the beef a bit (make it less sticky because of the corn starch). So marinate it for 20 to 30 minutes. Cut the Kai Lan into pieces like those in the photo. Prepare some ginger slices and 2 gloves of garlic. First heat the wok (high heat). Then put some oil and make it evenly on the wok. Put the cut scallion and garlic and brown it for 20-30 seconds. Put the beef promptly and quick stir fry it to 70% done. Take it out. Then put some oil and put the ginger slices in the wok. Put the Kai Lan, and a dash of salt but more sugar (about 1 table spoon) and wine. Put some water and cover the lid. Turn to medium heat. Let it cook until you think the Kai Lan is tender to your preference (normally about 1-2 minutes). Prepare a half bowl of water, some oyster sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, some corn starch (not too much because the beef has corn starch with it.). Then put the beef back and turn to high heat. Put the sauce and let it thicken to your preference. Done! Then put the portion over a freshly cooked steamed rice.

6 comments:

Stella said...

Thank you for the cooking class.
This was also my dish in my good old school days.
I still like this dish as it brings back old memory in the good old days.
You shall teach us the cooking class for your "lup lup".

Anonymous said...

Oh such a nice one dish recipe. Me too. Memory in good old days.

/William

Journey Insights... said...

I always prefer to have Kailan rather than Choi sum. I love the crispy stems of kailan and its green leaves are sooo good even if it is just steamed. For some reasons, Choi sum has a stigma attached to it bec of the pesticides issues way back some years ago and I stopped eating it. Anyway, it is bitter in taste (supposedly good source of vitamins and full of fibre!)

My other favorite veggies are pak Choi, Tong Choi (morning glory), Sailan fah (broccoli) and Poh Choi (Green Pea leaves)...

in the sea said...

Thanks for all of your comments. Stella, about the lup lup, I often wanted to make it again. However, since someone in my family are now allergic to mushroom, I stopped making that for quite some time. Without mushroom, the lup lup will be not the same. OK, I will try to make it in the next summer coming since now it's not the season for string bean.

Journey Insights, Kailan is indeed more tasty than Choy Sum, but don't take that too much if you have a weak stomach. If so, chew it more thoroughly and slowly. Among all those veggie, Choy Sum is however the best as the recent research found out Choy Sum has the highest EQ10. Besides, it's the best for "hot" and "cool" balance. In my kid's time, my grandma often told me to eat Choy Sum as much as possible. At that time I hated Choy Sum so much because it's like 5 days out of 1 week, we would have Choy Sum. Now when I noticed my aunt who is over 80 years old, she just looks like late 50's. So I am not sure if that's attributed to her habit of eating Choy Sum. If so, I think it's the best and cheapest way of staying young.

Stella said...

Yes, Choy Sum is known for its "not too hot and not too cold" balance(jin hey). I was also told the same as SEA.
On the other hand, I do agree with Journal Insights that Kailan tastes better than Choy Sum as Shoy Sum is kind of plain. However, you cannot eat Kailan that much as it has mercury.

Anonymous said...

If a restaurant can have so many Kailan on the rice like this photo, I would be so happy to go to that restaurant.