Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Interesting recipe from Betty Crocker's

When checking my old stuff yesterday, I also found out this cook book for International Cook book by Betty Crocker's. To my memory, I came across a lot of Betty Crocker's microwaveable meal in Von's and Ralph's (haha.. maybe these supermarket also changed their names). I didn't read this book much as I am not naturally born as a good reader. However, yesterday the wind blew the page to this one. I don't know how and why they claimed this Cantonese dish as Shrimp with Lobster sauce. The romanised title is apparently "Black bean Shrimp". Anyway, maybe it's a recipe from somewhere in Canton province. So please correct me if I am wrong. Anyway, when I checked the final part of this cooking, it was suggested to put some battered egg into the black bean sauce??? Has any of you being a Cantonese had any Cantonese food like this? If so, please tell me where you tried it and when. Thank you.

By the way, I noticed the cook book had a recipe for Thai Chicken salad. The ingredients are Black fungus, lettuce and chicken in a lemon basil dressing. So far I haven't come across any Thai Chicken salad like that. Then I recalled there is one dish called Chinese Chicken salad in Soup Plantation (not sure if it still exists) in CA. First, most Chinese don't eat raw veggie; so how can this Chinese Chicken salad be Chinese?

4 comments:

Stella said...

Chinese recipe/cook book written by non-Chinese may be more suitable for non-Chinese gourmets.
Vons, Ralphs, and Souplantation are all here in LA. Thank God, at least some old stores still exist.
What is the name of the wonton noodle chain store who got the award from the French Food Cirtic Authority(Mike-G-Lien)? The other one who got this is a restaurant from Four Season Hotel in HK.

Stella said...

Vons and Pavilion are merged but they carry their own names.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they put egg to make it like lobster sauce color.

in the sea said...

Good to know that those stores are still there.